Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Oh dear, here we go again

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Reports today of running battles between yellow shirts and Thai riot police as the yellows attempt to 'reclaim Thai land at Preah Vihar' in Sisaket.Also a huge demo by the reds in Bangkok.At least this time they aren't in the same location.
    Let's hope this does not escalate as the high season approaches.

#1 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 23:14

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

As long as they don't close the airport in November, it's all good.

#2 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 23:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    ...or provoke a war with Cambodia.
    I wonder what the betting is on the outcome of that?

#3 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 00:27

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Of course it will only be an inconvenience.The protesters aren't interested in foreigners and I trust the Thai army implicitly.Very disciplined troops. I was in Buriram a couple of years ago having a quiet drink before getting the night train to Bangkok.Suddenly. for reasons I will never know the army decided to close up the city centre.Within 5 minutes trucks had dispersed soldiers across the town and set up CPs.
    The friend I was with got a bit nervous but I told him not to worry.We strolled through the CP on the way to the station as if we were ghosts while all the Thais were being lined up to be processed.

#4 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 00:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The red shirt deal in Bangkok was smaller than expected because of rain -- but they'll be back no doubt.

In the scheme of things the yellow rabble out in Si Saket was also a bit of a non event -- telling that the violence was primarily between PAD and local villages -- it's the latter who would have to live with whatever debacle would have followed if the PAD had actually gained entrance to the temple (and thus Cambodian territory).

It's an extremely frustrating business, especially in the run up to high season -- the PAD hammered last year's high season and it would be very unfortunate if something happened again this year-round.

At the end of the day neither group is giving an inch -- which suggests a "compromise" is still a long way off.

For those looking for a general overview, this CSM piece is pretty good:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0919/p06s02-woap.html

#5 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 07:01

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Wow, I'm glad I'm going into Thailand via Malaysia this November.

#6 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 08:11

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Yeah great, now all you need to worry about is the social unrest in the south! ;)

#7 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 09:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There isn't "social unrest" in the south - there's a level one insurgency going on there.

But the conflict between the Reds and Yellows here isn't a serious problem as long as it doesn't devolve into a civil war (which is a potential outcome, but one I consider unlikely). Otherwise it probably won't bother tourists too much, although many may stay away anyway.

#8 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:28

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Apparantly according to my GF the Thai's are saying the Cambodians have been laying landmines to kill Thai soldiers, and now they must march the borders together to "minimise risk" whatever that means.

It doesn't really look good.

#9 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You might have some border skirmishing, but I don't think you'll see a full blown conflict. Cambodia would lose, and it's not in Thailand's interests either.

#10 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:37

• Advertisement

• Manumask

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2009

Hello Guys! I am going to Asia in one week and Thailand is one of the places I'm going to visit. It includes southern-beaches(Phuket to Koh Tao), bangkok and north(Chiang Mai). I am also going overland from Siem Reap to Bangkok.. any good advices on things I should avoid are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

#11 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 15:58

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

My wife says don't wear yellow or red shirts

#12 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 16:17

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Second that

#13 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 16:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The King was hospitalised last night -- more information here:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i6kAijxRCYXCzSJu3ALu-mAFT-PQ

The main issue with the red and yellow shorts is that, save a complete meltdown, they can ahh royally screw up the transport system which can play havoc with plans. As per other comments above they're not targeting foreigners -- this is a local politics drama.

Also with the Far South, tourists are not being specifically targeted, and while I wouldn't suggest avoid transiting through the border, likewise I'd say this isn't the best time for three months spent trekking the rural reaches of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

#14 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 08:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"...likewise I'd say this isn't the best time for three months spent trekking the rural reaches of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat."

There's the understatement of the year!

#15 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 11:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.