Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Khao San street food

• kerouac2

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2009

Yes, I know that most of you have seen it and appreciated it in the past, but here is a small gallery of what was available in the KSR area last week: http://tinyurl.com/l2c9w3

#1 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 01:10

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Nice photos.

Thailand is my favorite country for street food. So much of it is fresh and they make amazing fresh sauces. It makes a big difference when all of the raw ingredients are prepared right in front of you. When in Thailand, I usually eat very well and save a lot of money just eating all my meals at the street food vendors.

Here in Korea a lot of the street food is made in some factory and sent to the vendors. I love Korean food but the street food is awful.

#2 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 10:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I really don't like street food at all. I do eat some, but it has often given me the shits... and most of it tastes like crap. But there are exceptions.

#3 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:22

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Really, even Thai street food??? That is the first time I have heard that!

I never get the shits, I got all my shots, maybe the beer alcohol kills the germs or because I think my body is just used to it by now.

#4 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:26

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

I always get the shits no matter what, but im used to eating thai food at home, so maybe i dont get as sick as others.

Its never put me off street food.

It's like my body prepares for it, i even get it on the plane on the way over!

#5 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:29

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

After living in Asia for a few years I guess the body gets used to food that isn't prepared under the scrutiny of health departments.

#6 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Really, even Thai street food??? That is the first time I have heard that!"

Only Thai street food, since that's the only type I eat - I live here. They don't have western street food... at least not where I live.

Everyone I know - thai or expat - gets the shits from eating street food. The exposure to the dust and exhaust from the street isn't making it healthier. And often cleanliness standards aren't the best either.

Sometimes people want to romanticize things, but SE Asia, in terms of food preparation, is just dirtier than western societies. My wife, who is Thai but has lived in both places for extended periods, complains about it all the time.

#7 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:36

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Everyone knows that street food vendors (esp in SE Asia) use questionable cleanliness practices. It's not like in the states where the health dept can show up unexpectedly and shut the place down.

But what I do romanticize is the taste of many of the Thai street foods, especially the soups. In the west (and sometimes here in Korea) it seems that so much has been thought out to maximize profit, which results in processed foods, previously frozen, preservatives, etc (not that Thai food is exempt from this, just my favorites)... I guess its why I like Thai street foods so much. I like to see all the ingredients in front of me prepared from scratch.

#8 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 12:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I guess its why I like Thai street foods so much. I like to see all the ingredients in front of me prepared from scratch."

Personally I am not interested in the ingredients, just how it tastes. And while Thai food is OK, it's a long way away from one of my favorites. But I'm glad it works for you.

#9 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 16:02

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I think im in the majority of being a Thai food lover. But im interested in what others think.

Maybe you have lived there for a while and are sick of it? I go once a year and I look forward to Thailand just for the food.

IMO the fresh ingredients results in deliciousness, but maybe thats just me.

What is your favorite BTW?

#10 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 16:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Favorite Thai food? Gai Pad met ma Muang. Followed by Pad Thai.

And yes, since I live in an area where non-Asian food is rare, I get sick of it.

#11 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 15:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
best indian food and 100 % halal food in phnom pehn* The kabab shop* street no. 104 ... By manbir on 3 Sep 2009 0 3964 3 Sep 2009
Ha Noi: Street food has something extra ... CHOLERA ... By CatBa on 12 Mar 2008 11 5330 1 Jan 2012
Bangkok's finest street food ... By comtam3000 on 23 Aug 2014 9 1234 8 Sep 2014
Eating street food in South Asia. ... By Agee on 24 Oct 2013 27 2830 6 Oct 2014
Headied to HCMC on the 5h. Meet for drink or street food? ... By TerroirTravel on 1 Feb 2014 5 767 6 Feb 2014
Cambodia - prices of street food in Siem Reap ... By IvanaCZ on 24 Apr 2013 40 5996 4 May 2013
Pizza, baked on a pickup truck! Thai-Street food become international! ... By okibkk on 13 Apr 2012 1 1261 13 Apr 2012