Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

House to Rent for month

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi, my partner and me are returning to Thailand with our 6 month old baby. We're looking to stay in a couple of places for at least one month in each location. We'd like to stay in a small semi-rural location in the north with access to walks and in a quiet beach with some snorkelling and walking. We've been thinking of Chiang Rai and Koh Lanta but wonder if there are other places worth considering? Is Pai worth looking into? We're looking to avoid the high malarial risk areas near the borders and would like a house to have a bit of space and ability to prepare food for our baby.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places we could consider?

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

#1 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 01:55

• Advertisement

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Ooops, sorry I should have added that we're arriving in Thailand in October and staying until late January.

#2 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 01:57

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

We'd like to stay in a small semi-rural location in the north with access to walks and in a quiet beach with some snorkelling and walking.

A quiet beach with some snorkelling in the north??

You mention Pai, Chiang Rai and Ko Lanta. Are you looking at any particular part of Thailand or just somewhere fairly rural?

#3 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 02:53

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi, sorry to explain we're looking for two separate locations - one in the north and one on a beach. For the north something fairly rural in the area around Chiang Mai would be great. As for a beach location, anywhere in the Gulf of Thailand or Andaman coast would be good.

Our first thought in the north has been Chiang Rai but recently wondered about Pai as an alternative because of easier access to countryside. We've heard that Pai has changed a lot in the last few years.

As well as walking, some of the things we're interested in cycling, yoga, organic food, reading and conversation (my that sounds like a dodgy singles ad).

#4 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 03:13

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ah sorry. I read your post too quick. You're looking to stay in more than one place. Apologies. Lanta doesn't have much snorkelling from the beach AFAIK but offhand I can't think of anywhere suitable that does.

What sort of budget were you thinking?

#5 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 03:23

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi SBE, no worries, its very easily done. We realise our rental budget will probably be dependent on the location, knowing we're likely to have to pay more on an island or beach. We're estimating approximately 4-5,000 baht a month to rent for the north and would like it to be under 10,000 for a beach if that is possible. We don't need to be right on a beach and are open to other coastal suggestions. We've already discounted Trat as too far inland.

#6 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 15:52

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

"in a quiet beach with some snorkelling and walking."

When I stayed at Luboah Hut on Ko Jum I noticed they had a family bungalow. Lovely laid back beach, fantastic hostes. Note Jum aint up there as a top snorkelling spot - if you are used to Red Sea/Great Barrier Reef you may be disappointed. Can walk the whole length of Jum's east coast when the tide is right.
    Can get more info in Luboah on TRAVELFISH'S Jum page, below, and here
    http://www.kojumonline.com/.

Not good snorkelling, not great beaches, but one of the nicest, most welcoming resorts I've been to, with a range of HOUSES not beach bungalows for rent - http://www.siboyabungalows.com/
    Nice rural-orientated island to walk around.

One sweet place with good snorkelling off the beach is the less visited east coast of Phi Phi - Toh Koh Resort had a big bungalow with 2 king sized beds I stayed in last visit and was building a new family bungalow at the time. See TRAVELFISH reviews for more info and contact details. Some great walks up throught the jungle into the eastern highlands, along the beach/rocks to other east coast beaches and across to Ton Sai town.

Railay Beach Club has family houses but you are looking at fairly expensive joints. Railay is no better than Jum for snorkelling off the beach but has some good stuff around the nearby offshore islands. I enjoy the short walk over to Phra Nang beach and the longer one across the ridge from East Railay to Ton Sai, the climbers' beach.

#7 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 17:20

• gaynorquinl-
    in

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2009

PAI:

hi, we live in Pai and think its a great place. Admittedly it has got larger and is very popular with the Bangkok Thais during hi season, but the villages on the outskirts are lovely places to stay. Some offer small houses with kitchens, etc. and others have bungalows with cooking facilities. Prices vary. I have friends that rent from 4,000 baht per month to 15,000 baht per month. If you're looking at arriving nearer Xmas time it will be expensive. If you decide on Pai and it's going to be over Xmas/New Year please try and book in advance.

The Quinlins.

#8 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 00:07

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi Tezza, thanks for your beach/island tips. We'll definitely look into them. Koh Jum and Railay might have potential by the sounds of it, if there are any affordable houses to rent at Railay. Sounds like the good beach without the high-end resort at Railay might be a bit noisy from the Travelfish guide? We don't expect amazing coral off a beach with resorts. Any survival seems almost a minor miracle. We spent a few weeks on Koh Whai last year and the coral there was good enough to have available for just walking out into the sea.

Hi the Quinlines, thanks for your post. It's great to get some info from someone who lives in a place and knows it well. We're planning to arrive at wherever we go to in the north in mid-October. If we like Pai we'll stay between 1 and 2 months. We'd like to ring a couple of places to check prices, facilities and availability. Do you have any places you'd recommend - or is it a case of arriving in Pai and investigating?

What is it about Pai that you like? As well as bringing up our baby we'd love to be in nature, go for walks, catch up on some yoga, meet a few people, swim.

Thanks, Bill

#9 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 02:17

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Bill, the area of West Railay where Beach Club is located aint particularly noisy. The longtails tend to come in at the south-west end, around Railay Bay/Railay Village resorts.

#10 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 18:29

• Advertisement

• billbevan01

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009
    Location Global Village

Hi Tezza, aha, that's really good local info to have. Thanks. Do you know if the Beach Club have sole use of that end of the beach or might there be any more affordable accommodation. You mentioned the Beach Club is fairly expensive. It looks like they've some great houses on their website but if the prices are per night then yep its way beyond our budget. It looks like a pretty high end service they offer and would love to be able to afford that.

#11 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 18:52

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There are cheap houses available for rent on Ko Phayam too ... but I don't know if they'd be suitable because non of them are right on the beach and transport on Ko Phayam is by motorbike only. The locals don't mind transporting babies on motorbikes but you might.

Otherwise Phayam might suit you quite well .... except for the snorkelling.

#12 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 19:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Down south you might also consider Chanburi. I've heard it's quite a nice little city and close to the water.

#13 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 22:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Samui house rent (low season) ... By wufei on 3 Nov 2008 0 1314 3 Nov 2008
Koh Mak Sea View House Villa for Rent ... By kohmakvillas on 17 Dec 2010 0 2289 17 Dec 2010
rent house on koh samui for 2 week? ... By sueistrippin on 8 Jul 2007 1 2344 23 Mar 2011