Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

pattaya or bangkok?

• jasonkim8486

Click here to learn more about jasonkim8486
    Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

any difference in terms of the 'scene' between bangkok and pattaya, other than the fact that pattaya has beaches? im wondering if i should skip pattaya since im landing in bangkok and going to travel south ending up in phuket. am i going to be missing out or is it the same as bangkok?

#1 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 08:03

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

pattaya isn't a particularly popular destination on this site, witnessed by the fact that somtam has elected not to cover it. but it isn't without its charms either.

there is an excellent description of pattaya floating around on travelfish written by khunwilko that sums up the place perfectly. pattaya's strengths are shopping, inexpensive accommodation, and a great variety of good food. it is a serious girlie bar center, which is a plus for some and a negative for others. the beaches there are no great shakes.

if you were heading off in that general direction towards ko samet or trat or ko chang, i might say give it a look. but since you'll be heading in the opposite direction down the other side of the gulf, it doesn't really make sense to visit pattaya. almost anything that you'd be able to get in pattaya is readily available in bangkok, and the beaches will be much better almost anywhere else down south.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 08:45

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I agree with exacto. Your time would be better spent further south.

However, Pattaya does have some of the best people watching in the world!

#3 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 09:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I got the impression that Jason is interested in the girls... I've said this before, but if Thailand is the Mecca of whoring, then Pattaya is the Kaba. Lot's of women, lot's of funky goings on, prices for women are cheaper than most other places in Thailand, certainly cheaper than Bangkok. If it's women you are interested in, then Pattaya is your place.

#4 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 11:38

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Vermont is for lovers. Pattaya is for sex tourists.

#5 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 12:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Vermont is for lovers. Pattaya is for sex tourists."

Vermont is for lovers? Well, it would not be my choice for finding a lover - that's for sure.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 14:53

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Phuket has better beaches than Pattaya or nearby Jomtien. If you are tight on spending money then Pattaya will be a better choice. Hotels, restaurants and transportation are cheaper in Pattaya than Phuket or Bangkok. Beach is only good for walking, sunbathing, shopping, street vendors, restaurants and bars; tourists usually use hotel pools if they want to get wet or use a beach at Jomtien. You have to take a long bus ride or fly to Phuket, then you have to take expensive taxi rides to get to your hotel. For Pattaya you take a cheap bus from Ekamai bus station (under 120 baht) and in 2 hours you are in Pattaya. You can do both Pattaya and Phuket if you want. Depends on what you want to do. Up to you!

#7 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 03:56

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Yeah, especially if you are looking for a lover of the same sex!

#8 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 04:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sir Halberd sums it up well. I don't like Pattaya, because there's just oo much temptation there and I want to keep things right with my wife. But if I were single... holy cow, that's the place to be.

Phuket is far pricier across the board, as our good knight points out.

#9 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 13:07

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I agree with Exacto!

#10 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 20:15

• Advertisement

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

I've never been to Pattaya (save for a 10 minute stop on the way to Ko Samet) but from seeing pictures and hearing stories, it sounds like the worst parts of Bangkok and elsewhere, but amplified?

I'm male, single, young, and I like to party, but it still sounds like somewhere I dont really want to go...girly bars=annoying, hookers=not interested, loads of english 'lads'=aggressive atmosphere

Maybe I'm being unfair and should stop there for a night next time, but its just like, if there are better beaches and good nightlife elsewhere, but with less sleaze, whats the point?

#11 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 20:52

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

I get the feeling that a lot of people who write Pattaya off haven't actually been there. (We are too busy with the higher cultural pursuits such as the full moon party?)

#12 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 22:11

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

In March my son and I had just flown in from Hanoi and had 2 nights left before flying back to europe.It was getting to the hot season so we decided to spend the last couple of days in Pattaya rather than go to a sweaty Bangkok.Neither of us had been there before even though I have been to Thailand on many occasions.Buses go there directly from the airport and take two hours which isn't much more than it takes to get into Bangkok.I expected the worse but it was OK.The shopping is excellent and I would go so far as to say you have a better choice and prices are cheaper and it's vastly preferable to an overcrowded Thai market.Everybody was really friendly and hotel and bar prices were less than Bangkok.The girls are certainly not in your face unless you want that kind of thing and go to Walking Street.(yes, we went there to take a look)All in all it's a great place to unwind if you've been travelling and you've got a bit of time to wait for your flight.Don't write it off.

#13 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 22:45

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

sayadian actually made an excellent point.

No offense to anyone who lives there, but I really don't like Bangkok. I have been there about five times (sometimes for weeks).

You don't always have time to go to the southern beaches but want to relax at a beach. Pattaya might be your answer. Sure the number of hookers is similar to the number of tourists...but everyone is friendly, it's a very interesting place and pretty cheap.

Even if GO GO Bars aren't your thing, I have been there twice (once with a male friend and once with a female friend) and had a good time both times just drinking on the street/at the beach, shopping, people watching, beer bars, etc...

If you have plenty of time, def hit up the islands...but if you have only a couple of days than I agree with sayadian, Pattaya might be your best bet!

#14 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 23:26

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

I've only been to Pattaya once, and it was a convenience thing as opposed to actually wanting to stay there.

It's got a few things going for it like the others said:
    good/cheap shopping
    good/cheap food
    variety of good value hotels
    great for people watching
    all the girls/boys/shemales you could want including africans and blacks (of course if u are into that)

But even with me being a young man at the time, the fact that some dirty dirty looking, horribly dressed prostitutes walk around ALL day and night in places like the shopping malls and Macdonalds of all places is a bit of a turn off.

However, SOMTAM, why would you choose to not cover Pattaya, but still cover a place like PATONG?

#15 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 04:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I've never been to Pattaya (save for a 10 minute stop on the way to Ko Samet) but from seeing pictures and hearing stories, it sounds like the worst parts of Bangkok and elsewhere, but amplified?"

I've heard it described as Patpong on steroids. I don't think that's exactly accurrate, but there is plenty of cheap, naughty nightlife.

#16 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 12:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Why don't we cover Pattaya?

Well could you imagine having to write the bar section?!

We cover Patong because it is an integral part of Phuket, and it would have looked odd if we didn't cover it. Plus it is a very popular family destination (yes I know, families go to Pattaya as well), but as (at the moment) we cover nowhere else near Pattaya it was an easier one to skip.

I think describing it as "Patong on steroids" is pretty much on the money. Some of the most bizarre stories on Thailand I've ever heard have come out of Pattaya.

#17 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 15:35

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Fairy nuff,

However, whilst not "near" pattaya, pattaya is kinda on the way to Samet and Koh Chang, is it not? These are covered..

Anyway, i'm not complaining, it's not like one would need a guide for pattaya and you more than make up for it for everywhere else covered!

#18 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 17:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Besides anyone can just ask here on the pages. I stayed there for a week with my wife... very interesting.

#19 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 17:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Pattaya is sort of on the way to Samet and Chang, but not really, since the buses from BKK to those places typically go inland and not through Pattaya.

Pattaya isn't a major destination for the Travelfish crowd, at least based on message board activity, and it is covered pretty well on other sites, so I can understand why Travelfish spends its efforts elsewhere.

Khunwilko's write-up about Pattaya is really good too. Anyone intersted could use that as a basis.

Now, having said all that, if the only problem with covering Pattaya is finding someone to write the bar section, I bet there are a few folks out there who'd be willing to take one for the team! :-)

#20 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 23:01

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

"Vermont is for lovers? Well, it would not be my choice for finding a lover - that's for sure."

Wow, Vermont getting mention on Travelfish!? (This tiny state happens to be my home).

So MADMAC, what's wrong with looking for love in the Green Mountain State? Have you ever been to Burlington (also known as "Girlington"), which is where I'm writing from right now?

I, for one, would rather be here in Vermont than in Pattaya, which happens to probably be my least favorite place in Thailand I've been before - not big into the seedy thing.

I love Bangkok though, and if you are looking for what you're sure to see in Pattaya, I'm sure Pat Pong would serve just fine.

Vermont IS for lovers (and maple syrup, skiing, seeing cows, being near Canada... well, that's about it!)

#21 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 23:34

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

As I said further above I've only been to Pattaya once and that was just to kill a bit of time waiting for a flight.I enjoyed it and so did my 19 year old son.A lot on here seem to look down on it because it's 'seedy'. I wonder what their definition of seedy is.
    Myself, I find KhaoSan Road seedy.Full of scammers and hustlers and please don't tell me it isn't full of hookers, just open your eyes.Though saying that the majority are ladyboys.
    I find Koh Samui the pits.Probably up there among the top ten seedy places on the planet.
    Is it just because there are hookers in Pattaya that put off people! well people I've got news for you, they are everywhere.
    Is it rowdy, noisy drunks? in that case don't go to Phuket or Koh Samui.Come on people lets have your definition of seedy.

#22 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 00:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Wow, Vermont getting mention on Travelfish!? (This tiny state happens to be my home).

So MADMAC, what's wrong with looking for love in the Green Mountain State? Have you ever been to Burlington (also known as "Girlington"), which is where I'm writing from right now?"

DLuek
    Is Bernie Sanders still the mayor up there?

I went to Norwich University. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time in Vermont. And a beautiful place it is - but damn cold!!!

The problem with looking for love in the "Green Mountain State" is it's short of people. Lots of space, but not a lot of folks.

Burlington is nice - but a little too white for my liking. Nothing personal.

#23 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 03:18

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

MADMAC,

Agreed on VT being 'short on people' and too 'damn cold.' I just had to defend my home state when given the chance!

Bernie Sanders is actually a US senator now, and Burlington is getting much more diverse these days, with relatively large Vietnamese and Thai communities for one thing.

Vermont's okay, but I'm re-thinking my statement that I''d rather be here than in Pattaya. If I could be transported to Pattaya in an instant, I'd be there!

#24 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 06:38

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"I've never been to Pattaya (save for a 10 minute stop on the way to Ko Samet) but from seeing pictures and hearing stories, it sounds like the worst parts of Bangkok and elsewhere, but amplified?"

I come across this pretty often - "I have never been there so you should not go there!" Or "I read something, that Pattaya is no good, too dirty or something like that - so don't go there!"

"I'm male, single, young, and I like to party, but it still sounds like somewhere I dont really want to go...girly bars=annoying, hookers=not interested......"

Lots of young travelers like to head for the full moon parties at Koh Phangan; stand around navel gazing, getting wasted on dope and drinking excessively, getting hit on by aging hippies and that is supposed to be more socially acceptable than going to Pattaya?

I never had a bar girl or bar owner force me to do anything in Pattaya against my will, maybe I have more will power!

Up to you!

#25 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 10:05

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"boisterous charm"

That is such a great phrase!!!

#26 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 21:10

• jasonkim8486

Click here to learn more about jasonkim8486
    Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

hehe wow amelia you sound like you work for a tour agency. great pitch but i decided on skippin pattaya.

#27 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 02:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.