Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

True Thai story

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I came to Thailand to live in June of 2007. My wife, myself and our little girl first stayed in my wife's village. Two days after I arrived, along came a fortune teller. Now, I think it's all hocus pocus, but it was only 20 baht - so why not?

The lady tells me to go outside and find a leaf that talks to me. I tell her maybe plants talk to her, but they don't talk to me. My wife tells me to just go do it. So I walk outside and grab the first leaf I see. She takes it, mixes it with some powder in water... take the potion and pours it on my hand with some chanting. I'm having a hard time not laughing. Anyway, she beings to tell my fortune and at one point says "You will meet a girl from Surin. She will fall madly in love with you. Be careful, she is dangerous." I'm thinking "yeah right."

Two days latter I go to Bangkok to meet my cousin and register with the US embassy (having been a soldier for 23 years and done more than enough exercise NEOs, I understand the importance of the embassy having good data). After a long and painful overnight bus ride, I decide to get a foot massage on soi 22 in Sukhimvite. You know the places, everyone in chairs in a room with plate glass - like zoo animals. Anyway, I sit down (remember, my Thai is crap at this point - it's still crap actually, but I can converse now) and this girl starts working on my feet and with her limited English and my crap Thai we have the usual conversation. She asks my name, I ask hers. I ask her how old she is (22 - my son's age now, he was 20 then). Then (and mind you, we are not alone, there's a lot of people there) she says to me "I love you." I said "kid, you met me five minutes ago. You don't know anything about me." She says "No, I love you - really (ching ching). I go with you to hotel. No money." I said "Kid this is crazy. I have a wife and child, I don't even know you and you don't know me." She starts crying, which is making me and everyone else a little uncomfortable. The woman massaging a customer right next to us said something to her in Thai. I told her to calm down and relax, that she was attractive and sweet, but I wasn't on the market. Hoping that that would settle things down, and it did for a little while. I grabbed my book, did some reading, she worked my tired ol' mutts. After about 30 minutes she seemed OK, kept looking up at me with those doe eyes, and then I asked "So where are you from?" "Surin". I nearly jumped out of my chair!!! Man, I was really glad when I broke contact with that girl.

Now how did that woman know that?

True story, and very freaky.

#1 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 12:58

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

how bizarre, how bizarre

#2 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 14:08

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I think you need to get a reality check and re-assess your perception of the odds on things like that happening.

#3 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 20:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'll admit it could have been just a coincidence. It's possible. But it was still freaky. That's happened to me twice since I have been here (the other guy was from India). VERY strange.

#4 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 12:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Funny, true, language story ... By MADMAC on 19 Oct 2010 21 5785 26 Mar 2012
Thai Air: JFK to BKK canceled after July 1 - is this true? ... By thegrailer on 4 Jun 2008 2 1806 11 Jun 2008