Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

True Thai story

Posted by MADMAC on 23/9/2009 at 12:58

I came to Thailand to live in June of 2007. My wife, myself and our little girl first stayed in my wife's village. Two days after I arrived, along came a fortune teller. Now, I think it's all hocus pocus, but it was only 20 baht - so why not?

The lady tells me to go outside and find a leaf that talks to me. I tell her maybe plants talk to her, but they don't talk to me. My wife tells me to just go do it. So I walk outside and grab the first leaf I see. She takes it, mixes it with some powder in water... take the potion and pours it on my hand with some chanting. I'm having a hard time not laughing. Anyway, she beings to tell my fortune and at one point says "You will meet a girl from Surin. She will fall madly in love with you. Be careful, she is dangerous." I'm thinking "yeah right."

Two days latter I go to Bangkok to meet my cousin and register with the US embassy (having been a soldier for 23 years and done more than enough exercise NEOs, I understand the importance of the embassy having good data). After a long and painful overnight bus ride, I decide to get a foot massage on soi 22 in Sukhimvite. You know the places, everyone in chairs in a room with plate glass - like zoo animals. Anyway, I sit down (remember, my Thai is crap at this point - it's still crap actually, but I can converse now) and this girl starts working on my feet and with her limited English and my crap Thai we have the usual conversation. She asks my name, I ask hers. I ask her how old she is (22 - my son's age now, he was 20 then). Then (and mind you, we are not alone, there's a lot of people there) she says to me "I love you." I said "kid, you met me five minutes ago. You don't know anything about me." She says "No, I love you - really (ching ching). I go with you to hotel. No money." I said "Kid this is crazy. I have a wife and child, I don't even know you and you don't know me." She starts crying, which is making me and everyone else a little uncomfortable. The woman massaging a customer right next to us said something to her in Thai. I told her to calm down and relax, that she was attractive and sweet, but I wasn't on the market. Hoping that that would settle things down, and it did for a little while. I grabbed my book, did some reading, she worked my tired ol' mutts. After about 30 minutes she seemed OK, kept looking up at me with those doe eyes, and then I asked "So where are you from?" "Surin". I nearly jumped out of my chair!!! Man, I was really glad when I broke contact with that girl.

Now how did that woman know that?

True story, and very freaky.

#1 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by idreamofdurian on 23/9/2009 at 14:08 TF writer

how bizarre, how bizarre

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by khunwilko on 23/9/2009 at 20:18

I think you need to get a reality check and re-assess your perception of the odds on things like that happening.

#3 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by MADMAC on 24/9/2009 at 12:47

I'll admit it could have been just a coincidence. It's possible. But it was still freaky. That's happened to me twice since I have been here (the other guy was from India). VERY strange.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.