Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel during King's birthday-what to expect?

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Our travel plans coincide with the Kings birthday.
    We'll be returning from Trang to Bangkok either on the 5th or 6th of December and I would like to check with you what should we expect, what does it mean for the travelers?

What should I be aware of in order to avoid any delays, etc.
    Does this mean that the whole country is celebrating and the services shut down?

I have read somewhere that it will be a long weekend, as the 5th falls onto Saturday. Can you please confirm this and which day is off- Friday December 4th or Monday December 7th?
    thank you.

#1 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 02:41

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hey bole,

The King's birthday is also celebrated as Father's Day in Thailand -- expect buses to be busier than usual with people going to visit their families, but no major delays. It's a day of reverence, not partying; there will be celebration, but it's nothing like Songkran. Expect lots of yellow polo shirts!

The most notable difference is that the sale of alcohol is forbidden and all bars/pubs are supposed to be closed on this day. Schools, government offices, banks, post offices, etc. will also be closed.

#2 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 14:57

• themuths

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009
    Location United States

Posted from within Vietnam.

idreamofdurian - How true is the "supposed to" part of that statement outside of Bangkok? We'll be on an island in the south somewhere, will there really be two days of enforced sobriety throughout the entire country?

#3 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 21:49

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

my least frustrating way of dealing with Thai public holidays is not too expect anything

i would not travel on these days on government buses unless you can book the seats and a fair chance that there will be places where you can buy booze and then get fined by a cop immediately outside the shop you bought it from

#4 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 20:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.