Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

caving:Soppong vs Chang Dao

Posted by soQQuadro on 26/9/2009 at 07:46

I'll be staying in northern Thailand for, say 10 days , end of October, till Loi Krathong...and was now wondering if is better to head to Soppong [ I want to go couple of days to Pai] or head north to Chang Dao for both caving and landscape and peaceful Thai village. Is there a bus to go to the Lao border from there? or do I have to go back to C. Mai????
TA

#1 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by CunningMcFar on 26/9/2009 at 20:58

if you are really into caving, Soppong is the place to go.
lots of info on the Cave Lodge site, incl. a cool hand-drawn map of the area with many villages and caves you can visit independently

#2 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by soQQuadro on 28/9/2009 at 06:58

you reckon McFar? but as a place you find Soppong or C.Dao more interesting, as an opinion, if you have been there. and do you know about the bus to the Lao border?
Ta, Sara

#3 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/9/2009 at 07:26 admin

I agree with CunningMcFar. If caving is your thing, Soppong is the place. As far as the two towns go, Chiang Dao is quite a bit bigger, but most of the accommodation is well away from the main "town".

For Chiang Dao to the border, you need to get first to Chiang Rai (either by bus or to Tha Ton first then the boat to Chiang Rai) and then bus onwards again to Chiang Khong (for the border).

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by soQQuadro on 28/9/2009 at 08:31

0k, thanks, I'll think about where to go after Chiang Mai and Pai ;)

#5 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.