Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Tao weather early December

Posted by Rosie_4783 on 29/9/2009 at 18:59

Hi All

I will be travelling to the islands on December 1st and have five days to spend. I was hoping to spend a good bit of that time on Koh Tao, try my hand at diving etc but looking at the interactive weather map I'm not sure if this is feasible? Essentially if it rains for five days straight I'd be a bit peeved.

What does everyone think? Does anyone have experience of Koh Tao at that time of year? Would I be better off sacking Koh Tao and heading straight to the Andaman coast instead? Any advice is much appreciated...

Cheers :)

#1 Rosie_4783 has been a member since 28/9/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by tezza on 30/9/2009 at 18:40

Look, you could go to Tao in early December and have a real nice visit - I did one late November, hardly any rain, but the very next year when I was on big Ko Chang in the eastern Gulf there was a stream of refugees from Tao, Phangan and Samui complaining of constant rain, flooding, big seas etc.
I'm a weather nerd, this is my usual cover for December:
-------
The southern Gulf islands (Samui, Phangan, Tao) tend to be wetter in December. They have a different wet season - normally Oct into Jan.
Prolonged wet periods are not too common in Thailand but I have to say in all the years I've been following the wet season (I'm a weather nerd, got a weather page in the link below) the most complaints of this have come from the Samui area islands in Oct, Nov and early Dec. But things are variable - I've only visited this area once during THAT period, in Nov 97, and I got good weather. It seems these real wet ones come up about in about 20-25% of the years - but not necessarily every 4th-5ths year.
Late December and early Jan should see a taper of rainfall - the fact that it is high season in Samui etc points towards rain not normally excessive enough to scare tourists away like say Phuket in August (I like Phuket in August, but there is a distinct lack of summering Euros and Americans).

In other regions early November often sees the wet season tapering off - by mid November often dry season has kicked in and so December normally should be dead-set dry season.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by tezza on 30/9/2009 at 18:45

Oh yeah, for what it's worth, the Thai Meteorology Bureau thinks this December will have BELOW NORMAL rain in the Tao area - maybe they think there is a Thai version of ElNino coming on.
Scroll to the tabel at the bottom of this page -
http://www.tmd.go.th/programs%5Cuploads%5Cforecast%5C2009-08-14_Seasonal_EN_142236.pdf

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by Rosie_4783 on 30/9/2009 at 18:49

Cheers Tezza that's a great help and has cleared things up a bit for me :)

#4 Rosie_4783 has been a member since 28/9/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.