Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya

• Architeuthis

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2009

Hi there.
    I´m travelling Laos during Feb2009 going around LP and heading south to Vientiane and later to Nong Khai/Thailand. Further on I´m planning to slowly go across Thailand (by train) back to Bangkok taking a look at Ayyuthhaya on the way. What are your opinions about places which are on the way and worth taking a peek at? Please post your suggestions, anything from scenic landscape to great temples and everyday life...

thanks
    A

#1 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 03:23

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Khun A,

I used to live in Khon Kaen, so it is a sentimental favorite for me. But even my Thai friends pretty much keep going straight from Nong Khai until they reach Ayutthaya. Most of the scenic or interesting stuff in northeast Thailand/Isan is near the Mekong river or within the corridor of Angkor -era temples farther to the south along the Cambodia border.

If you are looking for some cool stuff along the way from Nong Khai to Ayutthaya, you might make a stopover at Ban Chiang in Udon Province. It's a pretty cool archeological site. There is also the little town of Phimai, which is not far from Korat. It's a cozy little town on its own and has a small but interesting set of ruins from the Angkor era. Another option might be to cut across to Sukhothai (but not by train I'm afraid) and then head south to Ayutthaya. In that case you could stop at Lop Buri too.

One other thing you might consider is a stopover at Phu Kradueng National Park, a really cool cliff-like mountain that's a popular hiking area for Thais. I had a car when I went, but I think you can get there by bus from Khon Kaen. Regards.

#2 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 07:07

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I had the same suggestions -- Sukhothai (not directly on your route though) or Lopburi (really close to Ayuthaya)....

How about Khao Yai National Park?

(exacto -- I love KK too! I have Thai friends who are profs at the university)

#3 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 16:41

• Architeuthis

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2009

Thanks very much for your replies. I would love to see Sukhothai instead of Ayutthaya , actually, my first travelroute was the other way round. Starting in VIE then north to LP and Luang Namtha. From there across the border to Thailand an then turn round and back to Bangkok spending some time in Sukothai. But I think the part Luang Namtha-Border-Chiang Rai/Mai to Sukothai is quite time consuming... So I decided to visit Sukothai on my (hopefully) next time in SEAsia and see Ayutthaya instead.
    So exacto and durian, many thanks for your help. I will look into your suggestions.

Best regards
    A

#4 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 20:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Ayutthaya isn't such a bad consolation prize. I used to stop by often on weekends when I was living in Bangkok. Apart from the obvious UNESCO area, there is a pretty good backpacker area for hanging out when you aren't at the ruins, boat trips along the river, and great restaurants along the waterfront as well.

The other good news is that you can take the overnight sleeper train from Nong Khai directly to Ayutthaya. It is scheduled to arrive at some really early hour, but is usually running late so you can get off the train at a semi-decent hour and grab breakfast while you get settled.

#5 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 00:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3682 19 Feb 2010
Nong Khai to Sukhothai ... By danceswithrose on 28 Dec 2010 0 3796 28 Dec 2010
Prachuap or Nong Khai ... By LeonardCohen1 on 14 Mar 2013 11 1690 6 Apr 2013
Getting to Nong Khai from Chiang Mai ... By mic59 on 18 Sep 2008 8 13617 6 Jul 2010
Nong Khai and Surrounds ... By morroco on 1 Mar 2013 2 1325 2 Mar 2013
violence in nong khai? ... By amezella on 3 Apr 2009 6 4036 7 Jun 2009
Bus from Nong Khai to Chiang Mai? ... By DLuek on 7 Apr 2009 9 12474 1 Feb 2013
Fireball at Nong Khai ... By neosho on 31 Oct 2012 0 1402 31 Oct 2012
Bus from Nong Khai to Mukdahan ... By think87 on 14 Jul 2012 7 2077 15 Jul 2012
Nong Khai or Mae Hong Son ... By longbeach on 11 Jul 2012 19 1755 19 Jul 2012