Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Samet to Samui

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Hi, I'm looking for advice on the most practical way of getting from Koh Chang or Koh Samet, to Koh Samui and Koh Phanghan. Is there a better way than back to Bangkok, bus/train to Chumpon/Surat Thani?
    I want to be on Phanghan for full moon/new year's eve. Will travelling be espescially difficult around 23/24 Dec? Lastly, what date should I look to get there to secure a room, as I will probably not be booking in advance?

#1 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 05:23

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You pretty much have to go via Bangkok.

Ko Chang or Ko Samet to Bangkok, then straightforward transport south (Bangkok to the silly islands is covered here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/57 )

Travelling won't be difficult on 24/25th, but finding a room will be. I think the majority of places on Ko Pha Ngan that can be booked online for the xmas period are already fully booked so you'll need to work on a walk-in basis. I'd suggest getting there 20th, 21st to have a better selection.

There's a couple of stories on this here, the latter will be of particular interest I think.
    Do I need reservations for my holiday?
    Should I reserve a room for the full moon party?

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 07:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

It looks like Bangkok Airways is still operating a daily flight from Pattaya/U-Tapao Airport to Samui for about B 2,000. If you've got the money, that might be an alternative to transiting through Bangkok, and given the time and effort you'd save, it might even be a good value.

I've never done the flight, however, so I can't say how difficult or expensive it is to get to the airport from Pattaya or Rayong. I'd love to hear more details about that part of the trip if you or anyone else has done it. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 11:10

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

http://www.bangkokair.com/travel_tools/route-map.php

Besides the route mentioned by exacto you can also fly from Trat near Ko Chang to Bangkok and then to Samui.

#4 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 18:10

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Thanks guys I will look into those flights, as time may be of the essence on those dates. Certainly sounds easier. Thanks for the links Tezza, your blog will become my island guide once I'm there, nice one!

#5 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 19:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel from Samui to Ko Samet ... By dion1927 on 31 May 2006 1 2411 31 May 2006
Ferry from Samet to Samui? ... By KerryH on 3 Aug 2006 2 1599 3 Aug 2006
Beachfront bgl. Samui/Samet Sep/Oct max 1500 THB ... By Blobby on 2 Sep 2010 2 1218 4 Sep 2010