Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Ko Phangan

Posted by Andreph on 1/10/2009 at 02:12

I arrive in Bangkok at midnight on January 22nd I am want to check out the FMP on the 30th on Ko Phangan. According to the info I have gathered it is best to arrive 4-5 days before the party. To find accommodations, that being the case, should I just book a train when I arrive for the following night? Or should I take a day train down there. I want to the cheapest way possible.

Also – traveling on a budget, looking for a bungalow, nothing fancy just a place to lock my bag, and a bed to sleep on. (Preferably away from the noise – but cheaper is better)

Thanks

Andre

#1 Andreph has been a member since 23/9/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by Sparts on 1/10/2009 at 05:05

Book accomodation before you leave if you want to be sure.
Thong Nai Pan beach is nice, 30 mins by jeep to the party. Baan Panburri is a decent place.
As for the train, no idea but I'm sure someone does. TBH that question has probably been asked a dozen times on here so if you do a search of the site you could find the answer.

Locals say the half moon is better (I've been and it's fantastic - in the "jungle") but I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe you want to take a bit more time before getting there and see some places on the way or spend some time in Bangkok. The FMP is not the be all and end all ;p

#2 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 167
 Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 09:39 admin

If you're getting there 4-5 days before hand and happy to stay away from the party, then you should be ok -- just be prepared for a bit of door knockin!

Agree with Sparts on the party, the jungle one can be a lot of fun and it tends to be a little less "messy" than the beach one.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by cupthehand on 1/10/2009 at 11:59

What about booking 4/5 days beforehand on Khao San Rd thru a travel agent, is there a good selection of available accomodation and is there a chance that a few days later when u arrive in Kho PhanGan that the place will have sold ur room to someone one else who was there earlier in person?

#4 cupthehand has been a member since 22/5/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 20:44 admin

cupthehand: Booking on KSR can be a bit of a crapshoot -- if time allows I'd try to get down to the island and sort it out yourself.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.