Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

tsunami Alert?

• vivekkrishna

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

I leave for Phuket in 6 hours and am obviously terrified. I know the Tsunami alert has been canceled, but what does this exactly mean? How is the weather now? My itinerary also includes phi phi for 4 days (from 3rd oct onward)

I'm hysterical..this was going to be my first trip to Thailand and I couldn't wait to be there.

Can someone please tell me how things are actually over in phuket?

#1 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 13:27

• Advertisement

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

hello vivekkrishna

i have just spoken to my friend who live in phukket town , she said that there was a warning in patong beach last night , but that was just for safety, now the warning has finished. she has been watching the news and every think is ok , the weather is good and no rain

have a good trip

danny

#2 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 14:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What happened in Phuket is a rare event. You have a MUCH bigger chance of being killed in a plane crash on the way to Phuket, or in the taxi going from the airport to your hotel, than you do of being killed in by a Tsunami. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 15:03

• vivekkrishna

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Hi Danny,

Thanks a ton for the info and positive news!
    You've put my mind at ease.
    I'll come back and post after my vacation!

#4 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 15:15

• vivekkrishna

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Hi MADMAC, thanks. Found your reply oddly comforting! I'll be a little paranoid on my flight though ;)

#5 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 15:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I'll be a little paranoid on my flight though ;)"

I always am too.

#6 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 17:19

• vivekkrishna

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Just got back from Thailand and it was the most incredible holiday ever! I have already started planning (and saving up!) for a second trip in Nov 2010! Thailand was incredible and I have a serious case of post-holiday blues now..

My worries (about the forces of nature) were of-course completely unfounded. I think I just got a little paranoid.

A big 'thank you' to this site, because it was travelfish that got me so crazy about Thailand! I have been hooked to Travelfish since the last 6 months and it has been an amazing source of information. The travelfish guides were worth every penny too!

#7 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 13:58

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

i know how u feel vivekkrishna , i went thailand for the first time last May for a 2 week holiday , when i got back i gave my notice to my job and booked a ticket for october , i had the best 4 months of my life !!

i wanted to travel to other place like canbodia and loas , but every time i got close i did not want to leave thailand so i just stayed.

danny

#8 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 18:36

• vivekkrishna

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

"when i got back i gave my notice to my job and booked a ticket for october"

Danny, I totally get why you did that! I wish I had the guts to do that too! Sigh..

#9 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 15:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.