Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transportation from Phuket airport to Khao Lak?

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

We will fly to Phuket and would like to continue onto Khao Lak for the jump off to the Surins islands.
    How can we get from the airport to Khao Lak?
    thank you.

#1 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 17:25

• Advertisement

• thailand_as-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 2

you can go by public bus from the airport to phuket town and from the bus terminal overthere start many buses to khao lak.
    enjoy your travel tour

#2 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 12:24

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Also taxi available from airport. They'll find you.

#3 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 13:43

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

boleslav,
    as i already told, the best way is a taxi directly from airport.
    Using bus to Phuket town then bus to KhaoLak, of course, will be cheaper. But look at the map: Phuket-town is to the South from airport, but KhaoLak is to the North. You'd waste too much time. IMO.

#4 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 23:48

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Boleslav, 1200thb taxi ride from airport to khao lak.Your bungalow should be able to get the driver to meet you at the airport.
    regards

#5 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 05:06

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I answered this question SOMEWHERE but I'm blowed if I can find it.

Okay, Khao Lak is way south (maybe the best part of an hour) of the jumping off point for the Surins, which is (on the highway) Khuraburi. There are transport ticket sellers near the bus stops for the boat + transport to the pier. The pier is at Ngan Yong about 8km from Khuraburi.

This Phuket airport limo outfit has a price to what they call Kuraburi Beach which I will guess is the pier for 2200 - I know the airport taxis are cheaper over short distances, not sure about longer.
    http://phuketdir.com/palbuco/rate.htm

The bus will be way cheaper but as explained, a hassle. Some people get transport the 4km out to the main road from the airport and flag down passing buses to their destinations - but knowing which bus could be a trick. They have destinations in western script, but I've noticed quite a few only have it on the back. I'm not sure if buses terminate at Khuraburi but a Ranong bus will drop you off.

If you want to stay at Khoa Lak, the taxi/limo fare as pointed out above is lower. Bus wise a Takua Pa, Ranong and SOME Surathani buses will do the trick.

#6 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 10:52

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Oh yeah, if you get a limo/taxi direct to the pier the National Park office is there and will sell you transport plus NP fee and accommodation.

#7 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 10:53

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

thank you very much for your replies.

Tezza-do you have any experience with the arranging the transport and accommodation at the national park? how many days in advance do we need to do this or can we just show up and tell them, we want to go tomorrow for 3 days?

#8 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 18:52

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Nah, didn't do it that way. I came from Surathani on a bus, caught a lift down to the bungalows on one of the pickups that wait at the bus-stop, and stayed at their bungalow. No booking.

I then went from my Sok bungalow to Krabi on the travellers' minibus. Arranged it through the bungalow. Quite a few years back - can't remember price (inexpensive) but it left sometime around 0900-1000 and got in about 1200-1300, maybe a bit later.

#9 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 18:29

• Viktor58

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2011

Just want to share our experience of moving to Orlando. We have nice experience of star distribution system. They understand our needs very well, we have satisfied with the logistic services of the Star Distribution.
    Miami Logistics

#10 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 04:59

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

There is no need to get a bus all the way to Phuket town. The airport bus will drop you off in Thalang where you can then catch the bus that leaves Phuket and goes to Takuapa (passing through Khao Lak on route). This bus leaves Phuket every hour from 6am to 6pm.

#11 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 19:53

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Dunno where my brain was when writing #9.

I realise this is an old thread but for people wanting to book the Surins:

I walked down to Tom and Ams trip booking office in the main street of Kuraburi directly opposite the short access road to the bus stop. They (and Barracuda Diving who can also book Surins) have a desk at the bus station but it was unmannned on a Sunday.

Tom and Am booked me transport to and from the pier. Because I wanted a tent which can't be booked ahead, I did this at the National Park office at the pier - where boat transport is also arranged. Interestingly in late high season 2010/11 only the speedboats were running.
    I think trip booking places in Kuraburi, Khao Lak and Takua Pa can book bungalows ahead. Many accommodation places in these areas can do the same. You can also book bungalows on the National Park website but this is tricky from overseas because NP wants a cash deposit paid into specified Thai bank branches or at NP branch offices soon after booking. I think there is a commercial website can do this for overseas people for an extra fee.

#12 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 04:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phuket airport to Khoa Lak transportation cost? ... By W_Sobchak on 4 Oct 2010 3 4397 6 Oct 2010
Phuket Airport/ town to Koh Kho Khao resort ... By wailing1 on 16 Jul 2006 1 3186 17 Jul 2006
Transportation from Krabi to Phuket ... By BaznChaz on 3 Dec 2007 1 3471 4 Dec 2007
Phuket weather/Racha transportation end of may ... By acof on 1 May 2009 0 1952 1 May 2009