Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel from Koh Chang to Koh Samet

• lizinwien

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009

Hello,
    I am trying to plan a trip for March. Ideally we would stay a few nights in Bangkok, travel to Koh Chang, then to Koh Samet and then back to Bangkok. Is it possible to travel easily from Koh Chang to Koh Samet? I see they are both fairly accessible from Bangkok, but is there a boat from one to the other? Also, if anyone can recommend a cheap hotel on Koh Samet (around 1000 bah) that would also be wonderful.
    ps. this site is amazing! it has been really extremely helpful and i am very thankful to those who made it.
    Best,
    Liz

#1 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 23:26

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Liz,

It's a great idea, but I don't think there is a boat going from Ko Chang to Ko Samet, so you'll pretty much have to take the bus. Most of the Bangkok-bound buses departing Trat head inland and don't go past Ban Phe, the port for Ko Samet. Because of that, you will probably be better off taking a bus from Trat to Chantaburi, and then transferring. If you are lucky, you might get a bus from Chantaburi that goes through Ban Phe. If not, you can get a bus from Chantaburi (or perhaps even Trat) to Rayong and then backtrack a bit to Ban Phe.

If you have the time, you might consider spending a night in Trat between Ko Chang and travelling to Ko Samet. It is a great place to hang out for a night or two, with cheap digs and good but cheap eats too.

As for Samet, check out the listings for Ao Phai and Ao Tubtim/Phutsa. There are some good choices for you in the under 1K baht range. Regards.

#2 Posted: 7/10/2009 - 06:42

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yeah, no boat.
    I have twice travelled the opposite way from Ban Phe, the mainland pier for Samet, to the piers for Chang on travellers' minibuses - I aim to do the same this March. These minibuses would definitely be carting people back to Ban Phe. I reckon just about any accommodation on Chang plus main street travel shops would be able to arrange this for you.

Last visit to Samet I stayed at Pudsa Bungalows which is a pretty good cheapy on a nice and quiet beach within a short walk of the more party type beaches.
    There is one other place on this beach which I liked the look of and gets good reviews on TRAVELFISH - Tubtim Resort.

#3 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 17:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting from Koh Samet to Koh Chang ... By cara_m on 10 Sep 2010 4 3814 14 Sep 2010
Sihanoukville to a Thai Island (Ko Samet or Ko Chang) ... By Kirsche on 23 Mar 2006 4 5160 24 Mar 2006
Week's beach break: Koh Samet or Koh Chang? ... By lissie45 on 24 Sep 2012 5 4580 1 Oct 2012