Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

60 day free visa for those going overland is rubbish!

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Well today i contacted the consulate in Brisbane about a free visa, as i am going overland from Malaysia.

I have an outbound ticket from Bangkok to Manila.

After two conversations with my thai girlfriend and one with me, the lady said I am not eligable, because i do not have a inbound and outbound ticket to thailand. The free visas cannot be gotten if going overland.

BULLCRAP!

I dont have a problem paying, but thats not the point. Everyone else gets it for free, so why should i pay?

has anyone else had this experience?

i just found this on the canberra website, feel like shoving it in the ladies face

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/announcement/FREE_TR1.pdf

Am i assuming anything wrong about this free visa?

Is there information i do not know?

#1 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 14:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's been a bunch of reports about of honourary consulates charging for the "free" visas -- primarily because visa issuance is a major source of income for them, but this seems to be a different kettle of fish.

The simplest approach I would have thought would have been to get the visa in Penang or KL, but if that doesn't fit with your plans, I'd go back and ask for an explanation in writing of why you are not eligible (be sure to ask for their name etc). Because the Penang consulate is giving overland Tourist visas free of charge...

All seems a bit weird.

#2 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 15:21

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Seeing as i'm only in KL and Penang for a couple of days each, i didn't really wanna waste time going to the embassies, but i have considered it.

Moreover, i just sent an email to the place in Brisbane, as well as Canberra, stating what i was told and attaching the official statement from Canberra talking about the free visas.

#3 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 15:38

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Back in May I got a free 60 day visa before going overland from Laos. This seems fishy to me...

#4 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 05:16

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

An Australia from Brisbane replied with this;

"You need flights into and out of Thailand Jess. If you enter Thailand by land entry you will be granted a visa exempt 15 day stay on each entry. If you arrive by air the visa exemption is 30 days.
    >
    >
    > Cheers,
    >

so i replied with:

"Hi Bill,

That document does not state any conditions, and after doing research it seems that many other people have got their visas for free going overland, for example, in Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Vientiene as well as many other western cities.

Why is it any different in Brisbane? Was this visa not done to stimulate tourism and help those many thousands of people who enter Thailand via the borders for travel?

Is this consulate in Brisbane only saying this because they make the majority of their money from visa applications?

Do you have a document stating that the conditions for the 60 day free visa are only granted with inbound and outbound flights?

Regards,
    Jess"

#5 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 05:40

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

If anyone's interested, both the consul in Brisbane, and the embassy in Canberra were no help, basically ignoring my questions and then when i sent another email, ignoring them.

Yay for the free visas!

#6 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 15:21

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Weird - they're talking about it as if you're enquiring after the visa-free-entry -- which is 15/30 days as discussed -- but you're after a tourist visa... idiots.

#7 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 16:05

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

oh well, i've failed at winning...

guess i will either waste some time in KL or Penang (but knowing my luck something will happen to make me not get the visa) or just suck it up and go to Brisbane and pay, they will probably recognise my name and refuse me!

#8 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 16:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can get the Tourist Visa same day in Penang -- so need not waste too long.

#9 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 16:28

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

FB - you're doing something wrong - of course you can get a tourist visa. Brizzie is an honorary consulate so there may be an admin fee.
    THe overland "visa" isn't a visa, it's simply a waiver and only lasts 15 days. As when you land by air if you are from Oz or 40 odd other countries you don't need a visa, you get 30 days without one.

Did you get asked to show your tickets?

#10 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 21:37

• Advertisement

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Wilko,

I'm not doing anything wrong, and all of this conversation has been via email or phone so far.

The charges they are mentioning are the same as they have always been $45 per entry etc, im assuming the admin is built into that. yes i know its a waiver.

Did you even read the post? It's about the free 60 day tourist visa, not the 30 or 15 day exemptions.

They said i need both inbound and outbound tickets or i don't get it for free, i have to pay the normal fee. Which doesn't make sense. I don't care about the money, it's just the principal, and that everyone else is getting theirs for free.

#11 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 08:29

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

You're running this in THorn Tree too - lets face it FB - you are a bit strange - maybe they just don't like you!

#12 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 08:51

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

yeah well most topics i run on both, it helps in getting advice from more people.

why is that strange?

Anyway, thanks for your input.

#13 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 09:08

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I didn't say THAT was strange, I said YOU are a bit strange - see my advice on Thorn Tree!

#14 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 11:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Wilko
    Everyone is a bit strange. You in particular.

#15 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 14:15

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

Thai consulates are a complete law unto themselves, it's entirely possible to get two different responses from neighbouring countries because one embassy has got tired of doing x and decided not to do it anymore. Yes it doesn't make any sense on many levels but this is what happens unfortunately.

#16 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 16:57

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Just so you guys know, I managed to get around this by sending an application to the Canberra Embassy instead of going to the Brisbane consulate.

So i waited about 10 days and i hadn't heard anything. I give them a call, and THEN they start asking me questions. It's all ok in the end but they still asked about tickets in and tickets out etc.

They i get a phone call this morning from the same guy saying that I didn't include a return envelope...which i did! Addressed and all!

He said he "couldn't find it", but then called me back and said he will put it in a new one.

Whats the bet they send my passport in an unregistered envelope?

Sigh.

#17 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 16:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Yes it doesn't make any sense on many levels but this is what happens unfortunately."

There's an upside to this too though. Often honarary consulates will issue visas they shouldn't simply because they make money off of the process.

#18 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 22:18

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I just received my passport back in the mail today with the free 60-day single entry tourist visa all stamped in and ready to go. This was from the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles, so pretty good luck there if anyone will be using their service. It took about a week, including the time in the mail. Not bad.

#19 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 22:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.