Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Kho Khao/Koh Phra Thang - budget accommodation?

• RuthJ

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Hello

As some of you may know, I've posted about itinerary advice before and as a result have decided to simplify our trip somewhat. Thanks to everyone who posted. We're just going to Phuket to start with to visit friends and then take it from there. But the plan is to go to Khao Lak for some Similans diving and chilling out (not really a fan of Phuket).

But I think we would like to get some proper thailand escapism of a hut on a beach and not much else around kind. Koh Chang (andaman)/Koh Phayam seem good options and were already suggested to me on here, but I also found Koh Kho Khao and Koh Phra Thang and because they aren't as far from Khao Lak and seem to have monkeys and turtles and stuff - seem like a cool option.

But we're really not into the 4* hotels with pools and spas and stuff. That's not really escapism - we can do that anywhere. I could find references on google to a couple of budget places on Koh Phra Thang but nothing on Koh Kho Khao. Anyone know if there are any? Any recommendations? Can we just turn up and find something or is it all pre-booking stuff?

Thanks,

Ruth

#1 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 20:55

• Advertisement

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I think you mean Koh Phra Thong.

Yes there are two budget options on the island. I don't think there are any on Koh Kho Khao.

We do have monkeys and turtles and "stuff" on Koh Phra Thong. Although we dont actually see many turtles here or anywhere directly off the Andaman coast for that matter. Much better idea to go out to Koh Similan or Koh Surin if you want to see turtles.

Other stuff that we have on the island includes the lesser adjuctant and pied hornbills (in the air) and a really good range of nudibranch (for dive nerds only).

Again I don't know for sure about Koh Kho Khao but on KPT you pretty much have to book ahead because otherwise you will not find it easy to get a boat over to the island and once there you will not find transport. The only realistic way to get the place you're staying is for it to be arranged for you beforehand.

I think Koh Kho Khao is the same on this but if anyone else has experienced otherwise then I would be interested to know.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 03:02

• RuthJ

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Thanks.

Oops - yes I meant Koh Phra Thong!

Could you tell me what the budget options are on KPT? I found reference to Mr Chuoi's and Morgan's Huts but no contact details, websites, or anything. Found some photos of Mr Chuoi's on Andaman Island hopping website.

We plan to go diving at the Similans either before or after some chilled out island (from Khao Lak ) and may do some snorkling at the Surin's from Khao Lak or one of the islands so hopefully we'll see turtles.

Would you recommend KPT or KKK? Or do you think Ko Chang/Koh Phayam is better (or don't you know?).

Thanks, Ruth

#3 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 15:31

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Well I would recommened Koh Phra Thong...but then I am biased because I live there and I run the Koh Phra Thong website. Also out of the islands you mentioned I believe that Koh Phra Thong has the best local snorkelling. We also have local diving (I run that).

Koh Phayam is up and coming as a travellers destination but I have not been there for a few years so I am not sure how it has developed recently.

I am pretty sure that Koh Kho Khao is following Khao Lak's lead and pushing the high end resorts. Personally, I find this uninterstesing.

Koh Phra Thong has 3 options for accommodation. There is Golden Buddha Beach Resort. You can find information on that at www.goldenbuddharesort.com It is actually very reasonable for the quality of the accommodation and food.

The other two are Mr.Chuoi's beach huts at 500Bt a night and the Koh Phra Thong homestay at 220Bt a night (per person) at the north end of the island.

I particularly encourage visitors to look into the homestay option so that much needed income is injected into the local community. Overfishing has badly affected the Moken subsistence way of life and the homestay offers them a new avenue to continue their lives on Koh Phra Thong rather than being forced onto the mainland.

They certainly would prefer to stay on the island but the recent diaspora has come about because local work opportunities are disappearing.

You can find links on the www.kohphrathong.com website. I would ask you to look at the accommodation pages, the sustainable tourism page and the about us page to check out our policies and motivation.

If you have specific questions about services on the island then please email me at christof@kohphrathong.com I prefer not to continue to answer commercial enquiries on the travelfish forum as it starts to conflict with the forum guidelines.

If however you have more general questions about the island or the surrounding areas then please continue to use the travelfish forum, as an open forum allows the sharing of knowledge and ideas from which we all benefit.

#4 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 16:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Phra Thong accommodation ... By tezza on 2 May 2011 4 3143 21 May 2011
Cambodian Visa for Khao Phra Wihan (Preah Vihear)? ... By karlambach on 31 Oct 2006 2 2170 31 Oct 2006