Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 dudes, 4 weeks in Thailand. Itinerary + gear advice?

• cheapzen

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

Hey everyone,

me and two buddies have booked to go to Thailand from 16 Nov til 15 Dec. We're all 18.

We're flying to Bangkok and our plan was to spend 5 days in Bangkok, 5 days in Chang Mai, 5-7 days in Krabi and then spend the last of our days in Koh Chang before going back to Bangkok.
    Give a few days to spare for travel time and spending in places along the way.

Can you guys suggest anything or give any advice on how to best go about this, cutting costs etc.? Please be as brief or detailed as you like. I've been to Indonesia so I'm not all that "green" when it comes to what to expect in Asia, if that helps at all.

Also, for a 4 week trip I was thinking of getting a 65L backpack. I'm 5'8. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for your help.

#1 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 16:03

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Hell of a long way from Krabi to (big) Ko Chang . You are going to blow all night (if you catch an overnight bus to Bangkok), a few hours getting across Bangkok from the southern bus terminal to the Ekamai terminal, 5 hours on the bus to Trang or Laem Ngop and then an hour plus getting onto big Chang.

Now if you REALLY REALLY want to see big Chang, go for it.
    But there are comparable islands close to Krabi (Jum, Lanta, the Trang islands, Phi Phi) or on the way back to Bangkok (Phayam, little Ko Chang Andaman side - and Samui/Phangan/Tao although these 3 tend to be wetter that time of year).

If you have plenty of money you can fly Krabi to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Trat near big Chang - but you mentioned cutting costs.

#2 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 18:29

• cheapzen

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

Thanks for your reply tezza,

I will keep that in mind. I haven't checked out Jum, the Trang Islands, Phayang or little Chang.

I got recommended Tao, Samet or Phi Phi by a friend who used to live there - telling me they were quieter than Samui or Phangan (though after abit of reading Phangan doesn't seem to bad).

What would you suggest for a more economic travel then? Flying wouldn't really fit in. If there are comparable ones that are easier to get to around Krabi or the ones you mentioned on the way back to Bangkok, what would you suggest that isn't totally rushed by people but can still offer us a good time? I'm assuming we can do our partying on Samui or something.

Thanks again

#3 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 18:53

• Sannes

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2009

If think you should considering flying before you decide to skipp Ko Chang. It can be very cheap and it's not necessary to book two flights. You can fly from Krabi (check out air asia) to Bangkok and take a government bus to Trat (very cheap, 5/6 hours), spend the night over there and next morning you take the ferry to Koh Chang. I've been to Koh Chang last summer and it was one of the highlights of my holiday. I recommend lonely beach. Also been on Koh Phangan witch I kind of hated although full moon party was great. But it’s a personal thing I guess.

65 liter backpack is ok, don't bring to much stuff. You can do a lot of cheap shopping in Bangkok. I also recommend to buy lonely planet or other travel guides in Bangkok and not at home, saves you some money which you can spend on your flight or some nice Chang beers ;)

Tip: just check out travelfish, there are great articles about picking a backpack and what to bring on your holiday.

#4 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 03:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

65 litres is a lot -- unless you're a big packer, I'd go with something smaller -- perhaps a 50lt.

At the end of the day, whatever pack you buy, you'll end up filling it -- and then you'll have to carry it -- so the smaller the better!

#5 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 09:59

• cheapzen

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

thanks Sannes and somtam2000 :) I appreciate the help.

I'll consider the option Sannes, I guess I'll have to talk about this with my friends and just see how our trip goes I guess. I'm still doing a whole bunch of research and reading.

And thanks Somtam2000, yeah I was under the impression that I'd end up filling whatever bag I bought anyway. So I think i'll op for something around 50 or 55 litres.

#6 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 11:31

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

"what would you suggest that isn't totally rushed by people but can still offer us a good time?"

Ko Jum, southern beaches on Lanta, east coast of Phi Phi, little Ko Chang, Buffalo Bay on Phayam, all the Trang islands (note they require more travel in the opposite direction to Bangkok than the others), lots of beaches on Phangan like Than Sadet, Coral Beach, Bottle Beach, Thong Reng, Had Wai Nam, Had Thian (both), Had Salad, Had Mae. All east coast and south west bays on Tao.

The easiest to reach from Krabi is Ko Jum.
    Two almost as easy to reach from Krabi I haven't mentioned are Kos Yao Noi and Yao Yai. But they may be too quiet.

I maintain the cheapest transport is overnight bus - costs next to nothing, you don't waste any beach-time and you are saving a night's accommodation cost.
    Sleeper trains don't cost much more - are more comfortable.
    Just as good are the night ferries to Phangan, Tao and Samui from the mainland.

Can't help with the backpack - I use a carry-on bag, just an old sports bag from cheap Charly's.

#7 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 17:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"At the end of the day, whatever pack you buy, you'll end up filling it -- and then you'll have to carry it -- so the smaller the better!"

In Africa my pack and gear routinely weighed over 100 pounds. Water and ammunition, man, they're heavy!

Anyway, I wouldn't fill it on the way in, but I would fill it on the way out - with clothes for back home.

#8 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 17:53

• cheapzen

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

Thanks Madmac :) Will keep that in mind.

#9 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 03:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Thailand ... By jendo on 10 Oct 2009 13 10113 15 Oct 2009
itinerary advice for 2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand ... By jztravels on 22 Feb 2010 4 4451 24 Mar 2010
3 weeks in Thailand/Cambodia - advice on draft itinerary please... ... By slordan on 24 Aug 2009 18 5008 6 Oct 2009
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia 8 weeks itinerary advice ... By roro1990 on 30 Aug 2013 12 2125 1 Sep 2013
Itinerary advice-6 weeks in SEA ... By stardar on 30 Nov 2009 0 3305 30 Nov 2009
4 weeks in SEA - destinations & Itinerary advice ... By samwise90 on 19 Oct 2010 1 3797 20 Oct 2010
Could you please give me some advice on my Lao itinerary (3 weeks) ... By DrNugu on 11 Jul 2014 1 237 15 Jul 2014
2 weeks in Malaysia - itinerary advice please ... By slordan on 2 Sep 2010 5 7011 11 Sep 2010
3 weeks in burma - Itinerary advice ... By Dimamah on 9 Jun 2012 5 4491 10 Jun 2012
3 Weeks in the Philippines - Itinerary Advice ... By StephJayne165 on 10 Sep 2013 3 3952 12 Sep 2013