Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

how long will it take to get from bangkok to vientiane?

• fariphar

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2009

Hi everyone,

I have just signed up to this and I'm apologising in advance if I'm asking questions that have already been posted :)

I'm travellin to bangkok in new year and have booked an onward journey from bangkok to sydney 6 wks after my arrival.

I have 6 weeks to travel from bangkok up to chiang mai, then on through laos, vietnam and cambodia. Am just wondering could anyone help me out with time frames?

I want to organise my visa for vietnam before i travel. does anyone have any idea how long it would roughly take me to travel from bangkok to vientiane? I plan on flying from there to hanoi. ANy help would be much appreciated as I will be travelling on my own.
    Thanks a million

#1 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 01:38

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey fariphar,

if you are travelling through northern thailand after you arrive in bangkok, you might consider just heading from there directly over into laos and not back through bangkok. you can go by land and cross into northern laos and then down to luang prabang, for example, or even fly directly from chiang mai to luang prabang.

from there, you can work your way down to vientiane for the flight to hanoi. i'd guess that you'd want to catch cambodia on the way back to bangers for the flight to sydney. does that make sense?

i guess the one issue is the visa for vietnam. from what i understand they start counting down from the time you receive them rather than from the time you arrive in country, so i don't know how that timing would fit in with the rest of your plans.

in any case, to answer your first question, there is a pretty good overnight train from bangkok to nong khai, the main border crossing point for folks heading by land from thailand to vientiane. once the train arrives in nong khai, its maybe two more hours total to get through immigration at the friendship bridge and then by road into vientiane.

alternatively, you can fly from bangkok to udorn thani in northeastern thailand and then its about three hours from there to vientiane. in short, possible in one day. cheers.

#2 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 09:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.