Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Treks near Chiang Dao/Phrao/Doi Inthanon?

• Bilby09

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Hi, staying in Chiang Mai in January and plan to do a 2 day trek during this time (I know.. would love to go trekking somewhere more off the beaten track such as Soppong or Mae Sariang but just don't have the time).

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any particular trekking companies (especially guest houses) that offer 2 days of full on hiking (if possible in slightly less visited areas)? Not interested in elephants or rafting as we will probably ride elephants and go kayaking down in Khao Sok.

Trekking around Chiang Dao sounds alright but the only trekking I can find is with Chiang Dao Nest and they don't seem to have English speaking guides.

Anyone know of any others?

#1 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 07:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's a good intro to the Thailand trekking scene here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/18

The main problem with recommending particular guesthouses for their trekking is that they often don't run the trips themselves, but rather put pax across to a consolidator that actually runs the trip.

Also, what really makes or breaks a trip is often the guide -- and they're often freelance, working for a few companies... so specific recommendations get a bit tricky. -- sorry that's prob not the answer you're after! Perhaps others will be more help.

That's interesting re Chiang Dao Nest -- did they say they can't arrange an English speaking guide -- seems pretty odd.

#2 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 07:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahh see you reposted (I moved the thread just after you posted) will delete the new post. Cheers

#3 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 07:21

• Bilby09

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Thanks for that Somtam (sorry about the posting confusion).

At the bottom of each page of the different treks offered by Chiang Dao Nest it has written:

Please note: while you will normally encounter some English spoken on this trek it will normally be very little and occasionally none at all. The emphasis for this trek is on the outdoor adventure, and hiking, while catching glimpses of simple mountain village life, in what is a beautiful area. We employ local guides from the villages who's English is mostly non-existant. We pay them well, as we want the local residents to benefit from the visitors. While they cannot speak English, they do know the way, know how to look after people and will communicate in other ways. It seems to work out ok for most people but we understand that this will not be suitable for all.

So yeah, they have a point, but I think I would prefer being guided by someone who can explain to me information about the surrounding area and tribes.
    Have you heard good reports from others who have trekked with Chiang Dao Nest otherwise?

#4 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 08:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Mai - Doi Inthanon - Mae Sariang ... By fondo on 15 Jun 2013 2 1249 16 Jun 2013