Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Northern Thailand from Chaing Mai one week Itinerary advice please

• jodie6104

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

As part of our honeymoon, my husband and I plan on spending a week in northern thailand. We fly into chiang mai and were wondering if anyone had any good itineraries for how to spend a week. We want it to be relaxing and relatively luxurious ( we can spend up to 2500 baht a night) and would like to spend some time in the golden triangle area/countryside as well as a bit of time for shopping/cookery course

many thanks

#1 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 20:52

• Advertisement

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

2500 bhat a night or a day?
    You shouldn't have any problems filling your days - there are tour agencies EVERYWHERE.Most seem to be on the ball as it's quite well established and so there are less cowboys. All hotels run tours of sorts but we booked from a shop in the old town.
    You must have an idea of what you can do in the Chaing Mai region right?
    You can't leave without a tour of the villages, elephant camps, rafting although the quality of these vary.
    We also visited the tiger sanctury/zoo which sounds cheesy but was fantastic. The animals are very well looked after and you can go in the cages with them, from 3m old cubs right up to 3 year old fully grown. And I don't mean in with one tiger, there are usually around 4 or 5 in each enclosure.

Other than that I'm no help, we only had a few days there so that's about all we managed. Wish could go back, it was my favourite place.

S

#2 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 03:54

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Night market every night. Sunday market at the Thapae Gate. Cross the Ping river and all sorts of good eats and drinks along the river. Even an evening dinner cruise. Loi Khro road is all the girls bars. Watch out for the katoeys. LOL Rooftop bar is for the younger backpacker group. Plenty of high dollar spas to choose from but you can get a fantastic 2 hour oil massage for 400 baht almost anywhere. Umbrella and fans markets made of bamboo and Sa paper. Beautiful. Baan Tawai for wood products. Muay Thai boxing. As stated above travel agencies everywhere for travel to Doi Sutep and elephants, tigers, villages, Flight of the Gibbon zip line, rafting etc. For an evening chill after doing all this go to Moon Muang, Soi 9. You will run right in to JJ's bar. Take a right go about 75 ft and Chai's is on the right. Both are great to get away from the crowds. Chai's has a good selection of expat regulars from everywhere ranging in age from 20's to 70's. It's small and quiet. Well sometimes LOL. Plenty enough to keep you busy for a week.

#3 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 09:46

• pudel

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

For a stay I can recommand you the 'Kantary Hills' they have special offers at
    the moment. Have a good time!

#4 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 14:37

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

There are daily trips up to the Golden Triangle but it's a very full day and a long way to go for a daytrip. If you want to get out into the countryside there are more manageable daytrips to the Mae Taeng area a couple hours north with elephant camps, river rafting, hilltribe villages, nice leafy scenery, etc. Or even closer is the Mae Sa valley with an elephant camp, Tiger Kingdom, horse riding, and adventure sports like ATVs and Zorbing, and of course a bunjy jump. Any travel agent in town can hook you up with activities as part of a group or you can hire a private driver with car for about 1000-2000 baht per day depending on how far you want to go. Easy to arrange right up to the last minute. In other words no need to book it in advance before you get here. An excellent place to stay right in the heart of the old city for about 1800b is the 3Sis B&B which is at the top of the Travelfish Chiang Mai accommodation page. The weekly Sunday evening street market is then right out your front doorstep and it's a must-do for Chiang Mai.

#5 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 22:39

• Travel1221

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

Hi Sparts.
    I would like to know more about this tiger zoo / sancuary which you visited. Can you give me more information - i.e. where it is exactly. We were thinking about going to the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi, but many people are saying to give it a miss thesedays. So was wondering where your 'tiger spot' in Chiang Mai is.
    Thanks so much.
    Tracey

#6 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 19:13

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

It's called the tiger kingdom.
    Website is here: http://www.tigerkingdom.com/Home.htm
    Doesn't really tell you much.

Trip advisor have reviews although not all of them are as positive as I'd have expected:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293917-d1151436-Reviews-Tiger_Kingdom-Chiang_Mai.html

We had a great time there and I like to think I'm fairly aware when it comes to animal care. The animals to me were very well looked after. It was very quiet when we went and you'd not wannt to spend more than a couple of hours there. We paid and went straight into the enclosures.

More info here:http://www.visit-chiang-mai-online.com/tiger-kingdom-chiang-mai.html

I don;t know if any of these sites are the official site. You'll find loads of info on them if you are in the city.
    It's a 10min tuktuk ride.
    Sorry, in a rush, not much help I'm afraid, will try to give more info later.

#7 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 03:25

• Travel1221

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

Thanks so much Sparts. You are an abosolute star. This info should be sufficient.
    Tracey

#8 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 13:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 week Thailand itinerary advice ... By buffalonomad on 17 Jun 2014 5 1484 26 Aug 2014
Seeking advice: 3 week itinerary (Thailand, Malaysia and Angkor) ... By Emanuela on 7 Aug 2012 1 1712 9 Aug 2012
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5363 1 Dec 2009
5 week itinerary - any advice appreciated! ... By jemsta7 on 24 Oct 2009 0 2416 24 Oct 2009
4 week itinerary - Any advice or opionions? ... By Bassfunk on 14 Apr 2009 9 3414 1 May 2009
Revised 5 week itinerary - any advice? ... By JenHarley on 1 Dec 2011 0 1552 1 Dec 2011
Seeking Advice on Eight Week Southeast Asia Itinerary! ... By brand0n on 25 May 2011 1 3598 25 May 2011
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 1072 20 Jul 2013
Northern Thailand and Laos: itenerary advice ... By bellatrx on 6 Oct 2009 1 2155 6 Oct 2009
Northern Thailand to Laos - advice much appreciated ... By Poohh on 30 Jun 2014 8 1316 18 Jul 2014