Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko pha ngan to chumphon?

Posted by kiwigirl08 on 17/10/2009 at 00:57

I will be spending time in Ko pha ngan over Xmas & New year & have booked flights out of Bangkok for the 8th Jan. Wondered if there is a quick way of getting to Bangkok? We were thinking to take the train. Is there a ferry from Ko Pha Ngan to Chumphon and can you catch a train from there to Bangkok?

#1 kiwigirl08 has been a member since 16/10/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by Sparts on 17/10/2009 at 03:44

Yes, there is a boat from the island that links to the train at Chumphon. I never used it but did look into it, didn't look like the easiest way back. We ended up getting the speedboat to Samui - which is super fast and quite fun and then a flight to Bangkok which we booked a couple of days before and was really quite reasonable. You mentioned that you were in a hurry, trains in Thailand are never fast, 25mph top speed if I'm not mistaken! If you still wanted to get the train you can always take the boat to the mainland and then the sleeper train to Bangkok overnight - that sounds much more civilised to me!

#2 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 167
 Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by kiwigirl08 on 17/10/2009 at 15:56

Thanks, for that, I don't want to be spending too long on the train and waisting a day, so I'll look into the flights or the sleeper option!

#3 kiwigirl08 has been a member since 16/10/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by tezza on 17/10/2009 at 18:27

Google Lomprayah for their fast catamaran/express bus service Tao-Chumpon-Bangkok. Unlike a lot of operators, this outfit has received a lot of positive posts from travellers. I think they have an option of a late afternoon ferry followed by an overnight bus, which saves a night's accommodation cost.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.