Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko pha ngan to chumphon?

• kiwigirl08

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2009

I will be spending time in Ko pha ngan over Xmas & New year & have booked flights out of Bangkok for the 8th Jan. Wondered if there is a quick way of getting to Bangkok? We were thinking to take the train. Is there a ferry from Ko Pha Ngan to Chumphon and can you catch a train from there to Bangkok?

#1 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 00:57

• Advertisement

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Yes, there is a boat from the island that links to the train at Chumphon. I never used it but did look into it, didn't look like the easiest way back. We ended up getting the speedboat to Samui - which is super fast and quite fun and then a flight to Bangkok which we booked a couple of days before and was really quite reasonable. You mentioned that you were in a hurry, trains in Thailand are never fast, 25mph top speed if I'm not mistaken! If you still wanted to get the train you can always take the boat to the mainland and then the sleeper train to Bangkok overnight - that sounds much more civilised to me!

#2 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 03:44

• kiwigirl08

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2009

Thanks, for that, I don't want to be spending too long on the train and waisting a day, so I'll look into the flights or the sleeper option!

#3 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 15:56

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Google Lomprayah for their fast catamaran/express bus service Tao-Chumpon-Bangkok. Unlike a lot of operators, this outfit has received a lot of positive posts from travellers. I think they have an option of a late afternoon ferry followed by an overnight bus, which saves a night's accommodation cost.

#4 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 18:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.