Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Island?

• Bilby09

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Hi, I'm looking for an island (Andaman sea) to stay for 4 nights at the beginning of February.
    I'm after an island that is beautiful but not very crowded, with good snorkelling and hiking (and preferably accommodation with warm water showers).
    The Trang Islands sound good especially Kradan, but perhaps a bit tricky to get to/from?
    I will be coming from Khao Sok National Park, and then at the end of the 4 days will need to get to Phuket to fly home from there.

#1 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 12:40

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

we had a great time on kradan when we visited a few years ago. a few other options you might consider are koh yao noi & koh yao yai, since that puts you close to phuket, and little koh change & koh phayam off the coast of ranong, a bit farther north up the peninsula not far from the burma border.

#2 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 22:16

• Bilby09

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Thanks for that Exacto. Where did you stay on Kradan?
    Will look into those other islands, although I heard yao noi and yao yai don't have the nicest beaches?

#3 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 06:42

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Kradan has good snorkelling off the beach, but I reckon you will be pushing to get warm water showers unless you rob a bank and stay at the new 7 Seas Resort. It's a small island - I enjoyed the jungle walks to the southern beach and the sunset beach, but you are talking 10 minutes each from the main eastern beach.

You can snorkel the main east beach at Ngai, there are some nice midrange places to stay and the walk across to the viewpoint past the National Park HQ on the western side may fill 30 minutes one way.

Muk has longer walks but not particularly good snorkelling off the beach.

Libong is a nice place to walk around but the snorkelling is not as good as I initially thought. I'm not sure if Libong Beach Resort has warm water in its more exxy bungalows.

Laoliang has good snorkelling, but you cant walk anywhere past the beach and the tent resort has cold water only.

Yao Noi's beaches are mainly rocky at low tide. Yao Yai has some reasoanable beaches. Neither is known as a snorkelling island. Big islands, plenty of trekking opportunities.

Almost as close to Phuket - the laid back less visited east coast of Phi Phi has pretty good snorkelling - maybe you could read TRAVELFISH'S reviews of Relax Resort and contact them re hot water. And certainly the mid range places at Laem Tong would have it. I really like the walks in the eastern highlands behind Relax Resort to the two viewpoints, down to Long Beach and across to Ton Sai town.

#4 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 11:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.