Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Honeymoon andaman island hop

• jodie6104

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

Ok for the last part of our honeymoon we want to spend a week ( second week of Jan) on the andaman islands. How much should we attempt to do in a week ? one or two islands?

Where is the most stunning ? quite fancy railay for a start. Also does anyone know of any beautiful romantic resorts we could stay at for around 5000 a night ? Thank you for all your help in advance

#1 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 22:05

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Apart from Railay, the most stunning landscapes are probably found in Phang Nga Bay and Phi Phi.
    I'm not too sure of high-end accommodation for Phang Nga - you could maybe google Ko Yao Paradise Resort and EVASON HIDEAWAY RESORT which look toward the karst islands of the rest of the bay.

On Phi Phi the nice relaxed accommodation is on the east coast at Laem Thong (Phi Phi Erawan Palms, Holiday Inn and The Zeavola) and Loh Bakeo (Phi Phi Island Resort), but the outlook here is merely nice, not stunning as in the tacky Ton Sai area.

One very laid back island with rather stunning views of neighbouring karst islands and the rugged mainland coast is Ko Ngai. About the top hotel here is Chateau Hill Resort - check the outlook from the elevated pool and other areas here -
    http://www.chateauhillresort.com/
    When I last visited the beach at Chateua's end had a bit of erosion, but improved markedly a short distance further south. Ngai is a pretty nice island to spend time and there are several nice midranger places not too far from Chateau.

I always like to see as much as possible so naturally I'll say fit in another place.
    Nearby is another lovely little island Ko Kradan. Until recently it only had a few backbacker places but last year the high end Seven Seas Resort opened. Trouble is their cheapest room is going for 6600 in high season and they reckon they want a 5 days booking. Maybe they're dreaming - I reckon this high season may be pretty quiet. Anyway, Kradan is always quiet.
    http://www.thai-tour.com/thai-tour/South/Trang/hotel/the-seven-seas-resort/

Almost as close is Ko Muk, and the Sivalae there has a great position and looks towards that very rugged mainland coast.
    http://www.komooksivalai.com/

Transport between these islands and Ko Lanta is very good with speedboats, Tigerline and the Trang islands daytrip boats, so you could look at a second place on Lanta. I reckon Kantiang Bay is one of the nicest, most picturesque beaches and has a number of nice midrangers and high end joints which Google will find.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 06:08

• jodie6104

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

Thanks Tezza- brilliant

It seems we are a bit spoilt for choice !!

Just two more questions - where would you recommend to stay in railay. I l know west railay is the nicest place but not sure of where to stay .

finally we will be flying in from chiang mai , and then back home from bangkok. would you recommend flying into krabi and out of trang ?

Thank you again

#3 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 15:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Look, I'm a Railay fan, I reckon the seascape/landscape of West Railay and walk-to Phra-Nang are as good as it gets. And even though low tides looks a bit daggy, East Railay and Ton Sai (over the headland from West Railay) aren't shabby in the landscape stakes either.

Trouble is, this area has suffered from BIG CROWDS in high season lately, and also needs the accommodation providers to put a bit more back in the form of nice paths and other infrastructure.

Having said that, 2 positive points:
    - even at peak peak, once the daytrippers from Ao Nang, Krabi town and points further go home, there is nothing more laid back than West Railay - particularly when the sun drops, the beach-bar guys set up their mats+candles and bonfires, and the floodlights hit those towering headlands.

Okay, my idea of cool accommodation is a place where you can sit on your bungalow deck and check the landscape. West Railay places mostly have their restaurants up front - the bungalows/rooms are packed in behind and look at each other more than the landscape. Front row at the restaurants tends to be good outlook-wise though, if you can score front row.
    I reckon the nicest accommodation at West Railay might be the Railay Beach Club which has holiday houses in a large wooded area taking up half the region behind the beach. These places would not have sea views, but quite a few would have good cliff outlooks. I think your budget might make it here.

I kinda think the best views from bungalows, pool areas etc might be in high places like Diamond Private (and maybe also some Diamonnd Cliff and Viewpoint bungalows) on East Railay. Check the websites but beware - Diamond Private has killer stairs for access.

Of course Rayvadee would have some places with nice outlooks, but yer 5k wouldn't get you the broom closet there.
    -----
    If I was starting at Railay, Phi Phi or Lanta I would fly into Krabi (Phuket is as good for Phi Phi). The Trang islands (Ngai, Kradan, Muk) point to Trang airport of course.

#4 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 16:27

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Erm - only got ONE positive point about Railay in.

Okaaay-
    - lots of things point to this upcoming peak-peak being less peaked than normal.

#5 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 16:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"How much should we attempt to do in a week ?"

I'd say not more than twice a day, so fourteen times.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

#6 Posted: 24/10/2009 - 00:27

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Madmac.....LOL

#7 Posted: 24/10/2009 - 10:58

• jodie6104

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

Thanks for all your help, I am thinking of heading to Krabi and to railay for one or two nights and the taking it from there ko mook sounds brillaint. I am also quite taken by the idea of that camping trip to the ' beach ' near Koh Phi Phi.

#8 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 22:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Island Hopping ... By dazedandconfused on 3 Nov 2010 3 3345 5 Nov 2010
Koh Kradan island, andaman sea, new resort ... By kalumevillage on 25 Nov 2008 0 2803 25 Nov 2008
In Search of the Perfect Andaman Island ... By lilia on 3 Dec 2010 2 1048 3 Dec 2010
Island hoping down the Andaman coast ... By glynsheard on 14 Aug 2007 1 3368 15 Aug 2007
Any recommendations on budget Andaman island hopping during Dec-Jan? ... By cbg0927 on 7 Dec 2013 21 1035 18 Jan 2014