Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai language classes, Bangkok

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Hello there, i had a hunt around the forum since i was sure this had been asked before but couldn't find anything too useful.

anyway, At the start of next July i am moving out to Bangkok for 6 months, as part of a study/and currect uni project. Its not part of a formal exchange and so i'm not going to be with thai students or studying in any classes.

With this in mind im looking to find somewhere to help me learn the language while im in bangkok. I intend to keep learning for the entirity of my time there but most intensivly for the first 2 months (july/august).

Any help you could give me on this would be great, im sure ive been a bit vague so any other details that would help i can give.

Thanks alot
    Craig

#1 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 21:03

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Craig,

There are quite a few different schools that will be happy to have you study with them. One I used many years ago is the American University Alumni (AUA) Thai Language Program. You can read about it here:

http://www.auathai.com/

The program is pretty flexible as I remember. You basically purchase however many number of study hours and attend classes. They have extended weekday hours and Saturdays too. The cafeteria there used to have really excellent Phat Thai! The down side for some is that this school uses entirely what they've called the "natural approach", which means you'll learn comprehension more quickly but your speaking will come along much more slowly (if at all in 6 months).

The Thai language program is only a small part of this school. Most of the students are Thais studying English. I had a good experience there. Worth a look.

#2 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 22:21

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Thanks very much, thats a very helpful link!

Yes in 6 months i dont expect to get much beyond the basics, because of the work i'll be doing while there i hope i will be able to learn alot from the people involved but yes there is only so much i can learn without some formal learning. All to often unfortunatly i find while talking with thai people while there it becomes more about helping their english which is good but i usually leave having learnt little.

Again thanks, my going off on a tangent wansn't really necessary.

#3 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 00:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Language classes or tutors in Vietnam? ... By somanights on 2 Jan 2014 2 524 4 Jan 2014
thai language videos/lesson online ... By walkingtrees on 29 May 2010 3 1587 31 May 2010