Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Youth/Backpackers hostels in Southern Islands of Thailand?

• pdrysdale

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

Am spending quite a bit of time exploring the islands at the South of Thailand in a couple of weeks and just wondering if there are hostels on the islands?

It seems to be mainly guesthouses/hostels. Making it harder for the lone traveller to meet people :-(

Cheers

#1 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 16:12

• Advertisement

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Not really many (if any) hostels.

It's not hard to meet people, plenty of bars and day trips with other tourists...

I'm sure you will meet plenty of people :)

#2 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 18:47

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hostels aren't popular in Thailand cuz guesthouse rooms are so cheap! The only true hostels I know of in South Thailand are in Phuket -- and those are in Phuket Town, not at the beach.

It was a busy place though - http://www.phuketbackpacker.com/

#3 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 19:27

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Even the places that are dorms are quite expensive compared to guesthouses...for instance that place states 250 baht for a shared air con dorm...and i've had perfectly adequate clean air con guesthouse rooms for 350baht...in patong beach even!

#4 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 19:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I always stay at Phuket Backpackers when in transit. Super clean, friendly, good facilities including free internet, good travel desk, right next to where the songthaews leave for the beaches and the produce market (if they ever finish rebuilding it and reopen), and less than 2km to the bus station.
    But yeah, 250 baht aint cheap for a dorm bed.

#5 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 17:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Making it harder for the lone traveller to meet people :-("

I have never gone anywhere in this country, even for one day, and not met someone. I don't care where you go, the only way you won't me someone to share a beer or meal with is if you don't try at all or just want to be left alone.

#6 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 17:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

it is pretty easy for a friendly, outgoing person to meet other folks on holiday in southeast asia. we do sort of stick out, you know. we've met lots of great people and even made some life-long friendships that way. for the most part, we've met people on buses, on day trip tours (like furne said), or by sharing a bottle of wine or some other fun thing we had to share with a nearby table (like MADMAC said). cheers.

#7 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 21:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I wasn't even thinking about people on vacation. But Thais are very friendly as well. They are so easy to meet... away from the tourist areas it's really easy to meet a Thai and in the tourist areas it's easy to meet a tourist.

#8 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 23:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

yes, i've met many of my Thai friends exactly the same way, including a few i met on a day tour in Jakarta and others on a scuba trip off the Similans. it seems that language is the only real barrier to meeting folks, and if you've got at least one in common you are good to go.

#9 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 02:32

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Just remembered - at the beach (Phuket-Karon) Pineapple GH has a fairly new dorm - 160/180/200 baht depending on season.
    http://www.pineapplephuket.com/rooms.htm

I also seem to remember people talking about a bit of a dive-dorm place at Ton Sai/Loh Dalum on Phi Phi - called THE ROCK or similar? Got an idea this might be on TRAVELFISH'S PP pages.

#10 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 18:40

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Youth Hostels in South Vietnam? ... By pdrysdale on 28 Oct 2009 3 1322 2 Nov 2009
Travel Route From North Thailand to Southern Islands in October and November ... By xgeneration on 9 Aug 2012 31 2406 13 Aug 2012
A 3 week trip from KL to southern thailand best beaches/islands ands back??? ... By Travel2013 on 15 Jan 2013 2 1343 15 Jan 2013