Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Railay beach - Lanta

• will_hutchi-
    ngs

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2009

Hi there was wondering if someone could help me out.

me and my girlfriend are going to be in Ko Lanta for Christmas and i am a bit confused on the best way to get there. our flights to krabi are booked (Air asia, only about £15 each ha ha aha) and get in at 12.45 on 22nd Dec but our accomodation in Lanta is booked from 23rd so thought we might check out Railay beach for the day.

I've read conflicting reports about the ferry that picks up from Railay (ie if it actually does or not) and would like some advice.

A) where the ferry goes from on Railay and what times

B) if its actually worth visiting Railay or just staying in Krabi town and getting the ferry from there in the morning.

Many thanks.

Will

#1 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 21:03

• Advertisement

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

I'm going that way next week from KL I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 18:56

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Google Andaman Island Hopping for ferry times Ao Nang /Railay to Lanta.

If you are staying at Railay or adjacent Ton Sai, the ferry pulls into the bay off Railay and passengers are shuttled out on longtails. It's a much nicer trip than from Krabi town because the first part goes thru those near-Railay offshore karst islands which are pretty spectacular. Don't get such a hot view if you sit inside, alought EVERYONE wants to sit on top, making it pretty crowded.
    The little travel agents and most bungalow places around Railay, Ton Sai and Ao Nang sell tickets. Prices vary a bit.

I reckon Railay is definitely worth visiting for a look, although with a mid afternoon arrival on the 22nd and an early departure next day, you won't have a lot of time there. No matter, Railay/Phranang/Ton Sai is a pretty compact area - and is actually nicest late afternoon when the daytrippers from Ao Nang and Krabi town go home.

Note most Railay accommodation for the 22nd is probably already gone - you have most chance booking somewhere on Ton Sai, the climbers' beach - or if you want one of those cheapies you can't book, finding a walk-in vacancy high on the right track branching off the Ton Sai loop track going up from beach-central.

If you decide this is too much hassle, Krabi town IS a nice place to spend an afternoon and night. Try Chanchalay Guesthouse for a good cheapie, River Hotel for a bit more upmarket.

Another possibility is staying at Ao Nang for the night - getting a longtail over to Railay late afternoon, wandering around for a few hours checking the landscape/seascape, having a swim etc. Longtails go back to Ao Nang until quite late - although you may have to wait longer for a full boat and/or pay more once it gets dark.

#3 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 19:21

• will_hutchi-
    ngs

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2009

Thanks very much for the info. Gonna start looking for accomodation on Railay/ton sai. I'm assuming everthing is in short walking distance as the area doesn't look very big on a map. Failing that gonna hit Ao Nang

Thanks again

Will

#4 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 16:45

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yep - pretty compact.
    You can clamber over the headland between West Railay and Ton Sai in about 5 minutes. Look for other travellers to show the route. A lot of people wade around at lower tides but it is a bit rocky underfoot.

You can also walk over the high saddle between Ton Sai and East Railay in maybe 30 minutes by taking the loop track up from beach-central and branching right on the first track about 5 minutes up. This comes down past the Diamond Cave above East Railay beach.

East Railay to West Railay is 5 minutes max on a flat path thru the resorts.

East Railay to Phra Nang is similar on a flat track between the northern headland and plush Rayvadee resort.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 18:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transport or distance from Klong Muang Beach to Railay Beach ... By sugarplum on 23 Feb 2007 1 3991 23 Feb 2007
Koh Lanta vs. Railay ... By mtkushnick on 2 Nov 2010 3 5086 8 Nov 2010
Yoga in Ko Lanta and Railay ... By jessieo on 28 Jun 2009 2 5593 30 Jun 2009
Railay or Ko Lanta or Krabi..? ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 0 3425 17 Nov 2010
Railay or Lanta in May with a toddler - where to stay? ... By ruth678 on 17 Mar 2010 1 1911 18 Mar 2010
Ko Lanta/phi phi/railay /Ko Samui accommodation ... By steveo on 16 Oct 2010 2 3203 20 Oct 2010
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1837 28 Jan 2013
Cheap places to stay for single traveller in Railay and Ko Lanta ... By madSEM on 19 Jan 2010 3 5043 20 Jan 2010
Phi Phi/ Railay beach. Help! ... By indian_gypsy on 18 Oct 2007 1 5179 19 Oct 2007
Railay Beach/Krabi ... By cameoalexa on 13 Nov 2012 3 2204 19 Nov 2012