Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

travel from Bangkok to Khao Lak?

• jasonkim8486

Click here to learn more about jasonkim8486
    Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

what are my options from getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok? on a budget so will not be flying.

#1 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 05:24

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Either a tourist minibus (which will be direct) or a government bus/train to Surat Thani then another bus from there to Takua Pa (it will go by the park entrance).

#2 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 07:47

• jasonkim8486

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

great much appreciated somtam!

#3 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 07:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Khao Lak is past Takua Pa coming from Bangkok. I think somtam may have been thinking of Khao Sok. I get them confused all the time.
    Nevertheless many of the Phuket buses from take the mountain road past Khao Sok, thur Takua Pa and then down the coast thru Khao Lak.

Or you could catch a Takua Pa bus and change at the big bus station for a local going down the coast thru Lak.

Now SOME of the Bangkok-Phuket buses go via Ranong where they turn and go down the coast thru Takua Pa and then thru Lak. I don't know how to pick these on the timetable but you could lob at Bangkok's southern bus station and ask when the next was leaving. Some of these buses will be overnight which is a great way of saving a night's lodging for the budget traveller.

#4 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 08:10

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Um, 3rd line should read -

"Nevertheless many of the Phuket buses from SURATHANI take the mountain road past Khao Sok, thRU ..."

D'uh!!

#5 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 08:13

• jasonkim8486

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

awesome, im not actually planning on staying in khao lak, but i know this is the only jump off point to the Similan islands, which is my ultimate destination, if im not mistaken?

#6 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 08:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, my mistake -- dunno why I thought Khao Sok. As per tezza on travel directions.

#7 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 08:30

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Most people organise their Similan trips from resorts/bungalows/agents in Lak, but the actual jumping off point is a little further south at Thap Lamu. The Similans National Park booking office is there about a half km from the pier and they will be able to direct you to one of the travel agents selling boat tickets near the pier. From memory the boats tend to leave around 0800-0830.

If you want to go direct from the bus, get them to put you out on the highway near the turn-off for Thap Lamu which is about 4km away. There should be plenty of songthaews and pickups with dive groups etc to wave down for a ride. From memory the junction is about 8-10km south from Khao Lak central - you will know you are passing thru Lak because the highway becomes a 4-6 lane job thru the small business area and then jumps up on a steep winding route over a headland.

#8 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 09:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travel from bangkok airport to khao san road ... By heyshorty on 22 Dec 2013 7 2671 29 Dec 2013