Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Changing face of Pai

• travelfishn-
    ews

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009
    Total reviews: 30

MCOT has a reasonable read on the changing face of Pai in northern Thailand. For those who have not been there in some time, may be of interest.

You can read the full story here

#1 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 09:47

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Was in Pai recently and talking to a Danish bloke who said how much it had changed in the last 5 years.Used to be really laid back and relaxed,he said, but now it has just become another Thai tourist trap.And I've got to agree with him too.Full of tourists and the whole place is just one big guest house.Won't be going back.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 16:13

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm glad I saw Pai before it became touristy. It was such a quiet town. I'll always have happy memories of that place. But like so many once charming places overcome by tourism, I wont be returning there.

#3 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 17:30

• jamesspigne-
    si

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 25

YES ONCE AGAIN ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL PLACE RUINED BY MASS TOURISM AND THE TYPES IT ATTRACTS. I DON,T THINK THAILAND WILL EVER GET IT RIGHT. PLACES THAT ARE BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FARANG RESTAURANTS,BARS, BARGIRLS ETC, ETC,. IN CASE YOU HAVE NOT NOTICED REALLY TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE TOURISTS THESE PLACES ATTRACT. I THINK ARROGANT WOULD BE A KIND WORD. I STOPPED GOING HERE SIX YEARS AGO AND HAVE NOT SET FOOT THERE SINCE AND NEVER WILL.

#4 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 15:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@jamesspignesi -- can you turn off capital letters please? This thread is over a year old...

#5 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 15:27

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Not everyone tours the same way, and sometimes what we consider a 'ruined' place has in-fact been a blessing for local families in need of income. I'm not saying it is always positive, and I'm sure some of the people are upset by the noise and the changes, but our sense of a 'preserved experience' is a bit dr. livingstone-i-presume early colonial adventure -- at this point globalization really has penetrated all but the most remote parts of the world, with many positive side-effects for communities to go along with the negative. I'd refrain from overt judgment.

#6 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 16:27

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Next place on the list - Soppong? At least there's no further construction allowed near the Lod cave (for now). If you want natural beauty, a few guesthouses, and a river also check out the Mae Win area SW of Chiang Mai. Rode through yesterday - magic.

Thing is, most of the "real" travellers who say they want off the beaten path still also seem to want other travellers around, menus in English, maybe some internet, and at least a remote chance of having a few beers with someone they can have a decent conversation with. Tons of quiet out of the way places throughout northern Thailand, as long as you don't mind being the only farang within 20 miles.

#7 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 18:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Casey and Bob - you read my mind. When I get on my bike and head off to parts unknown, I almost never run into another white guy. Even when some live in the area, I'm not likely to bump into them in the one or two days I'm there. I have never seen a single white guy when in my wifes village - ever. There's tons of places like that, but nobody goes there because there's no attractions.

#8 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 23:49

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"There's tons of places like that, but nobody goes there because there's no attractions."

I sometimes enjoy going to places because there are no attractions. Often they are just places along the way from Point A to Point B, and they turn out to be terrific. Lots of places like that along the Mekong. But I do admit that if a town is situated on a river, I consider that as an attraction.

But I do agree with you regarding this point, though I would add that it is one of many reasons. I think that two of the biggest reasons are fear of the unknown, and laziness. Not many travelers are too eager to hop on a bus and head to some place just because they see it on a map.

We live in a world that has grown used to instant gratification, instant answers, instant solutions to problems. Easy.

Whenever I read the webjournals on the Crazy Guy on a Bike site, I am constantly reminded that there are thousands and thousands of small, little known or unknown gems out there. Just have to slow down and take the time (make the effort) to see/find them. This is a big part of the reason why I like to take my bike there now.

#9 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 01:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yep, a chopper is definitely the way to get around here. No doubt. Versatile, fast, but slow when you want to be - and fun. I recommend it too. I love to ride out here.
    To tell the truth, most of the really small towns are crap, and have no hotels of any type. But eht "Ampurs" almost always have at least a short time hotel, and rooms there are cheap. They also have some places to eat, a little nightlife... If you want to see how the other half lives and also really interact with indigenous persons, that's the way to go. Of course, language is the challenge. But I've always maintained that language is culture. You want to experience the culture, you have to start learning the language.

#10 Posted: 14/11/2010 - 23:56

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well, I actually meant my bicycle ...

#11 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 01:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Tilapia
    Too sloooooowwwww. OK when in town, but getting between towns... also not as much fun. But to each his own. I'm going to take my new CBR out next week, ride down to Chanuman and see Gai and Cat (former students of mine), then head over to Khemerat and from there pop over to Amnat, then over to the in laws in Yaso. Stretch her legs (the CBR) and see how she runs over the open road. She's been great and incredibly fuel efficient in the city.

#12 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 10:35

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Mind if I add here.
    To see Pai and other villages up in the North country will be a lot of work on bicycles. There a lot of hills, a lot of climbs and a lot of sweat. I think a motorbike will do better. But rolling down the plains of southern thailands, taking road less travelled along the coast or hopping from krabi to Phi Phi and into Kho Yai or into Phuket by boats WITH your bicycle would a terrific experience.

I travelled at lot on both my motorcycles and Bicycles. They are both fun. On places like Indonesia where there many islands, Bicycles are simply great, you can cross to them on small boats, same as Phang Nga, phuket, Koh Phi phi. And on bicycles all your 3-senses work at the same time, sight, hearing and smell. On my motorbike, I can never hear the geckos sing, nor the birds peck when travel in woodlands.

regards
    AA

#13 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 15:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.