Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Accomodation in Trat for Jan 2010

• bensadlier

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009
    Location Australia

hi guys,

First time poster here. I am from Australia and travelling with 3 friends in January 2010. We want to stay in Trat, and from what we have read of the reviews, the trat guesthouse sounds like the place to stay. Unfortunately we cannot find any contact details for the place. We tried to ring the number but had no luck. Do they have a website, email address or any sort of contact information to make a booking?

Thanks,

Ben.

#1 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 13:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Ben,

the only details I have for the place is it's tel, but I'd say you could just show up and shouldn't have too much trouble getting a room -- Trat is never all that busy.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 10:41

• bensadlier

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks for the reply somtam2000.

I guess i will just turn up early January and see if we can get a few rooms. Have you stayed in the Trat Guesthouse before?

I know not many people seem to bother with trat, but we were keen to see a less touristy place with more authentic thai lifestyle without travelling north because of the time constraints..(10 day holiday only).

Thanks for the advice..

p.s since im here, may i ask if you have been to koh maak? We are planning to stay there a few nights. If so is it as nice for beautiful beaches as the nice ones down south?

We had to make a choice to either head south, or move around the gulf area and avoid constant travel for 10 days of holidays.

#3 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 12:33

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Hi Ben
    Was in Trat a couple of weeks back and there are plenty of places to stay.We stayed at Mames guest house but it was'nt much at all.Went for a walk around and Windy guest house looked pretty good-right next to the river.

#4 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 03:21

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Ben,

Trat Guest House is definitely a nice spot. The rooms are a decent size, cozy and comfortable. Unless he's added one or two, none of them have attached bathrooms, and there is no restaurant. But a restaurant is not really necessary as the guest house is only a couple of streets over from the market where there are loads of great stalls. Mr. Tjaa, the owner, is a really nice and helpful guy.

But, as Thaiman says, it's not the only place in town. TGH doesn't have a lot of rooms, so if you can't all get in there are other options only a few steps away, mostly in the small streets and alleyways to the south of the central market area. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a place without reservations.

I have written reviews on the Trat Guest House and Windy. You can find them here ...

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/eastern_thailand/trat/trat/all/2099

... and here ...

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/eastern_thailand/trat/trat/all/2098

As for Koh Mak, it's quite nice. It's definitely not as busy as Koh Chang, and it's a little busier than Koh Wai. You can't really compare it to beaches in those in the south as there are hundreds and hundreds of beautiful spots down there. The landscape is different, though. The slow, late afternoon boat trip there is terrific.

Going south, unless you are flying, could use up quite a bit of your time. If you go by land, you're looking at about 2 full days of travel time to get down there. It is possible to leave Trat in the morning and be on one of the southern islands by late afternoon the next day. Then you'll require about as much time to get back to Bangkok if you are flying home from there. If time is an issue, you may want to chill-out on one of the islands in Trat province.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 22:06

• bensadlier

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks guys for the replies..
    Tilapia, thanks alot for your response. Good info there..

I will try to get a few rooms at the Trat Guesthouse on arrival then.
    If not, im sure ill find another nice place.

Really appreciate the replies and help.

Thank you.

#6 Posted: 18/11/2009 - 14:46

• bensadlier

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009
    Location Australia

Also,

Not sure if i should write a new topic up, but was wondering about accommodation on Ko Mak.

We are really going there just to enjoy what ive read are unbelievable beaches and beautiful water etc for 2 nights.

I am looking at the Big Easy, but 3000bht per night is quite pricey. Reviews seem mixed on tripadvisor for alot of the places.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again ladies and gentleman.

#7 Posted: 18/11/2009 - 14:48

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

Hi Ben

We stayed on Koh Mak in March this year. I think we stayed at the 2 best places on the island - Ao Pong and Big Easy.

Ao Pong is a fantastic little place - it has the whole beach to itself (Ao Nid) and the family that runs it are sooo lovely. The woman is a great cook and the guys are very chilled out, fish with guests on the cooks and are generally pretty cool guys. Each bungalow is set up on the hill overlooking the water. I think we paid 900 baht for air con and loved it. The bungalows themselves are roomy but not fancy. The beach isn't sandy.

Koh Mak was the last place of our trip, and we had some money left over so decided to treat ourselves for the last few night's accom. We checked out every single place on the island and were sooo sure this was the nicest! We had the beachfront bungalow and it was insanely nice - big, high roof, air con, ridiculous bathroom (in a good way), beautiful furnishings and a big balcony with a hammock overlooking a postcard-like view. The restaurant is the bomb, and the staff are wonderful. I can't remember how much we paid but it was worth it. I think we managed to talk him down a little bit.

Hope that helps!
    Jess

#8 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 21:07

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

I forgot to add - we didn't stay in Trat, so I've got no idea where is good to stay :)

#9 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 21:10

• bensadlier

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009
    Location Australia

Jess,

Thanks heaps for your reply..funny actually as we just booked the big easy before i read your post. Lucky you thought highly of it, it seems like we made a good choice. 2 nights there should be great.

Did you do any snorkeling trips or do an activities on ko mak?

Looking forward to getting to the big easy!

Ben

#10 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 13:27

• Advertisement

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

Hi Ben

I'm glad your staying there! Did you manage to get the first beachfront bungalow? I'll post some photos up in the next few days.

In terms of activities...
    We hired out some snorkeling gear from the visitor centre (it's attached to Makanthee Resort - pretty hard to miss) and walked across to the little island opposite the Big Easy. It looks like an easy trip but it's not! Beware the sea urchins...

I know there were a few excursions available (like half day 'cruises' to the nearby islands, which I have to say looked amazing) but we just chilled out... I think you can organise all that stuff from the visitor centre. I know the guys at Ao Pong (you follow the track from Big Easy towards the rest of the resorts and keep on going past them) organised some fishing trips. I think that was at night time? They had heaps of luck catching stuff from the rocks but we weren't motivated enough to do the trip.

We pretty much just lazed about and ate and drank. There is a fantastic little eating spot on the internal track - it's got a dirt floor and is very basic but the food was amazing (amongst the best we had on the whole trip). You can hire out bikes/scooters from a few spots and use them to explore the island... make sure you check out the art installation thing (also on the internal track, you might have to ask some locals for directions). It's kind of bizarre but pretty cool (lots of naked full sized statues, kind of cartoony features, in some provocative poses...). At night there are bbqs and they often show English Premier League matches.

If you remember, say hi to Paul (at Big Easy) for us! We were the Aussies who drank a lot... my hubby was on crutches and his staff kept bringing him beers to the bungalow!

Have an awesome time :)
    Jess

#11 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 20:54

• bensadlier

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009
    Location Australia

thanks jess.

We are aussies too, where are you from?

Missed out on the 1st beachfront hut, but got the 2nd one.

I'll check out the visitor centre for sure and say hi to Paul for you. I've emailed him back and forth a few times and he seems nice.

Sea urchins? Do they sting or something? You could walk all the way to the other island?

Was Ko Mak as nice a beach area as you saw in Thailand?

Thanks Jess.

#12 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 05:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trat Accomodation ... By 4439 on 15 Oct 2007 5 2994 2 Nov 2009