Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transportation from Krabi to Ko Lanta.

• mmeckel

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

We need some info about traveling from Krabi airport to Ban Saladan on Ko Lanta island. We (3 of us) are arriving at the Krabi airport at 3:15pm on December 23rd. We have a reservation at Anda Lanta and they say they can provide an "Express Transfer" which means they pick us up at the airport and get us to the resort in 1 1/2 hours("quality guarantee") by using a speedboat. They charge 1700 THB per person for that (5100 THB for the 3 of us). Does that sound unusually high? They also say they can provide "private transportation from Krabi to Anda Lanta" for 3,500THB for up to 6 people, but it takes a minimum of 2 1/2 hours. The resort provides complimentary pickup at Ban Saladan, so we are talking about the cost of transportation from Krabi airport to Ban Saladan. Should we book one of these options with the resort, or can we do better by getting our own taxi at the airport to take us to the pier to catch a ferry?

#1 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 03:02

• Advertisement

• Sannes

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2009

I think it's expensive. The ferry should cost around 400 baht a person. Don't know about a taxi from the airport to the pier but i guess 600 baht will do, which means it's around 1800 THB for the three of you.

Problem is you arrive "late" at Krabi. I'm not sure there are leaving ferries to Lanta in the late afternoon, so maybe you'll be forced to book a private transfer.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 03:29

• mmeckel

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Thanks for answering my post. I'm concerned also about being able to catch a ferry late in the afternoon....sure don't want to spend the night in Krabi ! From what I found out on the internet, the last ferry leaves Krabi at 1:30, which we would miss.

Sounds like getting a taxi from the airport to the pier is not expensive or a problem. Do you know the name of a company that operates speed boats to the islands?

#3 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 04:58

• Sannes

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2009

Sorry, can't really help you since i'm always travelling on a budget which means no speedboats for me ;)

You could take a look at:

http://amazinglanta.com/taxi-from-krabi-airport-tofrom-koh-lanta/
    or
    http://amazinglanta.com/fast-boat-transfer-to-koh-lanta/

Good luck!

#4 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 01:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The time consuming things about going all the way by road are the two vehicle punts - there are often considerable lines particularly high season.
    I think the more expensive speedboat option takes you to the first punt where you hop into the speedboat to shortcut the delays.

The chepest option is the MINIBUS SERVICE which starts opposite a footpath table set up in Soi 6 at Krabi town, runs around town to various guest-houses and to the bus station, and then heads south, crossing to Lanta via the two short vehicle punts. Once on the island they will drop you at your resort just about anywhere on the paved west coast road. This service runs all year, in high season hourly. It is cheaper than the ferries and is supposed to take 2 hours, but my trip saw almost 3 pass before we were on the island. It depends a lot on the number of vehicles waiting at the punts. We also cruised around Sala Dan for almost 30 minutes dropping packages and people off before heading south.

Now the frustrating thing is this service cruises straight past the airport on the way to Lanta. Some people told me it now calls in, but others maintain (and I think it is the more likely) that the taxi mafia there prevent this, although it will pick up and drop on the main road outside - the terminal is only about 400m from there. Okay for budget travellers and if it is not raining!

Now you could get an airport taxi into town to Soi 6, but of course all this is time consuming. And certainly the taxi service could take you down to Lanta, but I'm not sure of the price.

One further thing - don't knock spending a night in Krabi town. The place has a nice holiday vibe. Accommodation of all standards, lots of good restaurants, a great night food-market down near the old piers and some good night clothing markets nearby. Most stores stay open late too, and I find wandering thru those old-time mom and pop Thai stores great value.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 17:55

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

This Krabi limo/minibus service shows a limo with driver from Krabi airport to Lanta, incl vehicle ferry for 2500.
    http://www.krabirailay.com/transport/transport.html#krabi

#6 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 18:06

• mmeckel

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Thanks Sannes & Tezza for your posts. Sannes, I went to the links you sent me, which I really appreciate, and found the cost for the speedboat trip to Lanta to be more expensive than what the resort was quoting me. Tezza, considering the amount of time involved in taking the minivan etc, we have decided to use the taxi-speedboat option that the resort provides. Thanks again to you both!

#7 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 23:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"I'm concerned also about being able to catch a ferry late in the afternoon....sure don't want to spend the night in Krabi ! "

I wouldn't be too worried about having to stay the night in Krabi if it comes to that (unless your concerns are just based on the desire to maximise time on Lanta). Krabi is a decent town, there is nice and reasonable accommodation and good food places. Just thought I'd mention it in case you were avoiding it as you thought it might be a dingy town.

(After writing this, I see Tezza said the same thing - but thought I'd leave it to back up his views!)

#8 Posted: 9/9/2010 - 07:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transportation from Krabi to Phuket ... By BaznChaz on 3 Dec 2007 1 3497 4 Dec 2007
Ko Lanta or Krabi ... By westcoastmimi on 2 Nov 2009 10 4597 3 Nov 2009
Koh Lanta to Krabi ... By salbruce on 15 Sep 2006 4 2159 16 Sep 2006