Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Want a suit in Bangkok, but only two days so need it to be posted to me. Recommended shops?

• Jozudave

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2009

I'm going to be in Bangkok this weekend (Sat and Sun only) and would like to get a couple of suits and some shirts made for me. I had a look at the other threads about suits in the forum but I would like a recommendation on a shop or two that are good of course, but who will also mail your suits to your home country (the UK in my case). I had this done in Vietnam a while back so I presume it can be done in Thailand too.

Naturally I'm looking for a place with really good quality tailored suits too and at an affordable price. I'm pretty broke after travelling around SE Asia! :P

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 11:45

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I had 2 suits made when I first visited Thailand in 1992. Nice shop next to one of the 5 star hotels - well recommended. I have to say I was disappointed generally with the cut, style and general workmanship. This was despite having photos the trendy suit style I wanted, plus lots of measuring.

Visited Thailand again in 2004 and my wife had a couple of garments made. Also disappointing.

In India, we found the same. Have it made and somewhere, somehow something gets lost in translation.

Buying off the peg, different matter. We've always been pleased with garments we've bought.

#2 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 17:37

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Everything i've seen tailored and had tailored, has been crap.

One guy at work even paid a whopping $600AUD for two suits and i could tell they were cheap as soon as i saw them!

Like the above said, the stuff off the peg is great value in comparison and you can get lengths altered often for free!

#3 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 18:17

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

A place called Manhattan.

Very high quality and they will mail them anywhere for you. I'd highly suggest them. Cost is a little higher than some of the other places but the quality is superb.

In the mean time buy a GQ magazine and find something you like. They will make an exact copy for you with whatever fabrics you choose.

If you want to go with them just let me know on this thread. I can dig up the business card if you need an address or phone number.

#4 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 18:28

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

When you only allow a couple days for fittings and then you agree to receive a "finished" item sight unseen you are probably asking for trouble. Even when you have time to make several fittings, inspect the fit and color match in the daylight you still may end up with an inferior product.

What would you do if the suit that arrives at your home is not exactly what you really wanted - fly back for alterations?

Good luck.

#5 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 03:04

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I agree that you should make several fittings, but if alterations are necessary tailors anywhere could do them.

What do you suggest? He ought to just not have suits made and instead have them made at home for 10 times the price?

#6 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 16:28

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I think that the best way to force the tailor to do quality work is withhold enough money to make it worthwhile for the tailor to do a proper job.

When a customer agrees to accept whatever the tailor sends to him he is taking a risk. Sure, some local tailor back home might be able to fix some things by simple alterations but if the whole thing looks crappy then who do you complain to?

I would purchase an "off the rack" ready made suit before I would pay 10 times the price of a suit custom made in Thailand anyway.

I am glad that I am a stage in life that the one suit and a sports jacket I have is all I need for weddings and funerals even my own.

Hope it works out right.

#7 Posted: 9/11/2009 - 09:17

• Ivanho

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2009

I could get a suit cheaper than what Off the rack would cost back home which Fits me Great like at 3000 Dollars suits. I would surely visit bangkok again to have more made.
    The service that i got in Bangkok at Starwood Tailors will help me recommend more people to them.
    The quality was excellent and it was value for money. I paid 18000 for 10 dress shirts made to my size which i am fat and never had a shirt that fit me that well before and 2 suits. I am very pleased with the tailoring service that Bangkok offers.
    The shop is located next to Tarntawan hotel.

#8 Posted: 9/11/2009 - 13:55

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

I got a suit fitted in my last few days in Bangkok, due to my own laziness (I was there 3 other times but I just had to leave it till the last minute) and I was a little worried after reading this thread.

Anyway, it finally arrived this week and I am, thankfully, very impressed. It fits and looks like it did when I was there and seems good quality (though im no expert). I admit a fitted suit does take a bit of getting used to after cheap off the rack ones at home.

I paid 7000 baht for the suit and a shirt, which was probably a bit much in hindsight, but its still far cheaper than at home.

#9 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 17:57

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

sidewinder

I agree with you, I too have been impressed with the suits I have had made there. Sirhalberd made some good points but I am curious if he has ever had a suit made there.

Before I had one made,I chose one I liked from a GQ magazine, they copied it but using my measurments. Then I went in the next day and they made adjustments. Fit perfectly and looked like a million bucks.

#10 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 22:05

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hoi An and suit shops? ... By Enrico_Gatti on 1 Nov 2006 4 2135 10 Nov 2006
MP3 shops in Bangkok ... By robfry on 2 Mar 2007 2 1296 2 Mar 2007
Where are good bike shops in Bangkok? ... By travelback2basics on 27 Dec 2010 3 2479 2 Jan 2011