Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

River Kwai Jungle Rafts

Posted by mlr on 7/11/2009 at 06:47

Hi everyone!

We have got 3 nights booked at the River Kwai Jungle Rafts at the end of November and i was wondering if anyone had stayed there before and if so how easy is it to get to and from the rafts to explore the Kanchanaburi area and what sort of costs will it entail?

Thanks in advance!

#1 mlr has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/11/2009 at 09:38 admin

It's in Sai Yok, which is well out of Kanchanaburi town -- perhaps an hour by motorbike. It's very handy though for other stuff in the area, HellFire pass, Sai Yok waterfall etc.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mlr on 8/11/2009 at 00:41

Hi Somtam

Thanks for your reply! We are spending 1 night initially at Ploy Guest House in Kanchanaburi so we were hoping to cover the area around the town then and then the 3 nights we are staying on the rafts we were going to be visiting Hellfire Pass, etc. Will this suit?

Cheers

#3 mlr has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by Nokka on 8/11/2009 at 01:44

I stayed on the rafts a few years ago and loved it; wasn't overly impressed by Kanchanaburi itself though. (though do take in the wargraves and museum, which are quite moving).

The trip to Hellfire is well worth it and makes an interesting morning trip from the rafts. Personally, though I wouldn't bother straying too far from the rafts while you are there; we found there was plenty to do. Lay in the hammocks, wander round the little village, go for a walk, kayak on the river, chat with the staff (who were lovely) or other guests. There's also another hotel a mile or so downstream where you can get a massage, swim in the pool, cycle round the roads there. Its a lovely place to relax.

#4 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by mlr on 8/11/2009 at 20:47

Thanks for your reply Nokka! How much was it to get to Hellfire Pass from the rafts? And is it quite easy to arrange excursions from the rafts once there?

Cheers

#5 mlr has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by Nokka on 9/11/2009 at 22:41

We did it as a trip from B'kok. A bus took us to Kanchanaburi; went first to the WarGraves and Museum, then on the river. We then went on the train over the Bridge and had lunch before being transported by long tailed boat to the hotel.

Next day was the side trip to Hellfire, again by long tail. I'm sure you will be able to arrange from there easily enough. Send them an email.

#6 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.