Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Visa Question - hope someone can help!

• geo85

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009

Hi guys,

I just need some clarity on the Thai visa situation. Me and the girlfriend are headin Hong Kong to Bangkok 5 Feb, and planning to head north (Chang Mai) onto Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, then back to Thailand to do the islands on route south.

Now I know as it stands that there's no need for a visa if we're only going to be in the country for 30 days; we anticipate we'll be in Thailand (at the most) for 2 or 3 weeks before we head to Laos. My question is, what's the sitation for getting back in? Do we need to get a visa, or are we eligible for another 30-day visa to do the islands?

Apologies if this has been asked before - I have taken time to search the other posts, but I kind of need a specific answer!

Thanks in advance - oh, and if anyone's heading on a similar route around the same time, would be great to hear from you!! Cheers.

#1 Posted: 12/11/2009 - 23:41

• Advertisement

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

After, or during, your first 30 days you can leave the country and return with a new visa exemption. If returning by land you'll only get another 15 days, 30 if by air. You can do this 3 times within six months.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 00:13

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

If you will be in Thailand the second time for more than 15 days (or 30 if you're flying back in), you can get a 90 day Thailand visa fairly easily in Phnomh Penh.

#3 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 03:43

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

If you need more than 15 days to visit the islands on your second swing through Thailand, then I'd definitely look into flying from Phnom Penh to Bangkok like the others have suggested. Air Asia has some really cheap fares for that route, and you'll get stamped in for 30 days arriving by air instead of the 15 you'd get arriving by land.

I just got a no-cost 60-day tourist visa for Thailand from their consulate in Los Angeles. Bummer is that it is a single-entry visa. If the Thai Embassies in either Vientiane or Phnom Penh are offering these free 60-day tourist visas, they aren't advertising it on their websites.

DLuek, do you remember what the cost is for that 90-day Thai visa in Phnom Penh? Cheers.

#4 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 06:13

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Do beware of Air Asia - I just spent 10hours waiting for a 2 hour flight!
    they have a reputation for not flying as they claim on the timetable - but no customer service.

#5 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 09:07

• geo85

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009

Thanks for the information guys. I suppose I'm just going to have to way up the cost of the 60-day visa v. flights back into Bangkok; I definitely don't think 15 days will be enough to do the islands - we're open on spending about a month making our way from Bangkok back down south (eventually onto Singapore).

#6 Posted: 13/11/2009 - 16:51

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Tourist Visa's should be free until April 2010, give your local embassy a call. I didn't even have to appear in person, just sent my passport with a courier. Good luck and enjoy.

#7 Posted: 14/11/2009 - 10:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

the 60-day free visas should be available until at least april 2010. i love mine. but the problem is that it is a single-entry visa. i guess geo could get the free 60-day visa before flying to bangkok, and try to get stamped in with the 30-day visa waiver on arrival and save the free 60-day visa for the second entry. but if thai immigration uses the free 60-day visa on the first trip through, then geo will still need to find a way to get at least 30 days for the second swing through thailand. from their websites, it didn't look like the thai embassies in vientiane or phnom penh were offering them, at least not for free. cheers.

#8 Posted: 14/11/2009 - 12:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
30 Day Visa to Thailand Question ... By jdollar on 21 Jun 2006 1 1392 22 Jun 2006
VISA question for Thailand ... By RC2012 on 9 Jul 2012 1 982 9 Jul 2012
Question regarding visa for Thailand ... By azizi on 16 Nov 2010 3 657 16 Nov 2010