Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Patara Elephant Farm or Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai??

Posted by mlr on 13/11/2009 at 18:02

Hello

Myself and my partner really fancy spending some time at one of the above places while we are in Chiang Mai but can't decide on which one!?

Has anyone been to either of these and which would you recommend? And is it best to book in advance online or can it be left until we are in Chiang Mai?

They are both (although the park is half the price of the farm!) obviously quite expensive but we have decided to cut out one or two other activities on our trip to make up for this!

Many Thanks

mlr

#1 mlr has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by mlr on 16/11/2009 at 17:27

Anyone???

#2 mlr has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/11/2009 at 08:32 admin

There's a discussion on the Elephant Nature Park here

I've not been to either personally, so can't help with more details sorry.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by PDX2BKK on 26/11/2009 at 12:22

Whichever one you choose to visit, have a wonderful time but please give some thought the Elephants welfare and research where the animals come from and how they are treated. There are some Elephant parks that treat the animals in an unethical (dare I say cruel) fashion, using cattle prods an keeping them confined etc. I would ask if the animals are rescued, do they get proper veterinary care. Enjoy your experience with those beautiful creatures.

#4 PDX2BKK has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by PDX2BKK on 26/11/2009 at 19:56

btw, I'm not at all discouraging your plan to spend some time with a Pachyderm, I should add that there are also many wonderful parks that treat their Elephants quite well and you should have no problem locating one. Just like people, a happy Elephant is much more fun to be around than a miserable one.

#5 PDX2BKK has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.