Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

KOH SAMUI HELP

• rc

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2009

hi there has anyone stayed at the Muang Samui Spa and Resort ??/

if so what is it like regard to standard proximity to the beach hearing mixed reviews regarding standard of the beach ..

any help pls
    cheers

#1 Posted: 15/11/2009 - 00:47

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I hate unanswered questions, so I'll put in my 20c worth even though I have not stayed there.

All the resorts in that section of Chaweng (approximately 25% south of the northern end) stretch between the main beach road and the beach itself, so proximity is immediate. Muang Samui is just about immediately above where the T of SPA RESORT is towards the end of the overhead shot at http://www.muangsamui.com/

That area of Chaweng Beach is very very nice. The sand is as good as virually anywhere in Thailand and as you can see from the overhead shot the water offshore is in the form of a big lagoon because of the existence of a long reef parallel to the shore. This extends north to the bigger of the two islands you can see in some shots, and south maybe another 300m, where there is normal ocean offshore.
    Now I prefer the latter, and lagoons don't normally float my boat, but when I walked along here this past August I thought it was a real nice area, seemed to attract lots of fossikers as the tide dropped - even sunbathers maybe 200m off the beach where sandbars became exposed as the tide drops. This was north of your joint - adjacent I think it is deep enough to splash around even at lowest tide - no problems for swimming at higher tide levels. Want to swim at lowest tide? Head 300m to the non-reef section. Actually a walk the full length of Chaweng is delightful - there is nothing wrong with this beach - there is no Miami style high rise development.

I needed to bank and so I cut through one of the big resorts in the Mung area - the main street outside has a bunch of banks, small supermarkets, clothing stores, tailors yada without being takky like the Chaweng main strip gets further south.

Hey, and Muang looks sweet on the website!
    And it sure gets praise on TripAdvisor - I think #4 of about 300. Interestingly the TripAdvisor heading talks of Bo Phut which is an inferior beach in the island's north, but the reviews and location map say Chaweng.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2009 - 11:28

• rc

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2009

Hi Tezza
    thanks for your reply really helped with my decision ,
    seeing as you are clued up this is what we are planning on doing pls let me know if its doable espicially in april (regarding weather)?????

bangkok: ( is it worth going to the floating market getting mixed review / golden palace )-- enough for 2 nights or do u recommend 3 nights in bangkok ?

Phuket: looking at the amari coral beach ---- better than novotel???
    from phuket thinking of doing day trip to
    -phi phi (is a day enough or recomend overnight stop?)
    -similan ( good for snorkelling or only diving ?)
    -Phang Nga bay
    would like to do elephant trekking is it recommended to do it in phuket or shall we do it in Koh Samui ??

then onto Koh Samui

cheers tezza

#3 Posted: 15/11/2009 - 18:44

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm not much help here, rc.

I always enter Thailand thru Phuket or the Malaysian border - only been to Bangkok twice - in transit from the south to the eastern Gulf. I reckon fanging the full length of the river express taxi boat system is one of the best ways to spend a few hours at minimal expense. The fixed price markets along the main street at the northern most stop is interesting too. Walk a bit further and you can check out the infamous Bangkok Hilton Jail. Don't take fotos - they get upset and you could end up seeing more than you want.
    Maybe you could put up a fresh question on Bangkok - we have some real experts on the forum.

The only time I get to stay in flash hotels on Phuket is low season when they discount savagely - so haven't a clue which of your two joints is the better.

I always reckon overnighting on Phi Phi.

Similans is good for snorkelling. I was a bit disappointed with my one day snorkelling trip taken way back (long trip in a cramped boat - the speedboats were a lot smaller then), but I did a fabulous 3 day live-aboard snorkelling trip with Poseidon Bungalows not too long ago which is the way to go if you have time (and can get a booking!)

Phang Nga Bay is fabulous for landscape/seascape. Forget about snorkelling and my trip didn't do any beaches.

Never done any elephant riding.

#4 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 12:10

• peterhilton-

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2011

Hi, last year I was in Thailand, Chaweng Beach, it´s a wonderful place! I was in hotel Chaweng Regent Beach Resort ( http://www.hotzebra.com/hotels/chaweng%20beach ) , everything was ok - hotel, room, food, and beach was beautiful!

#5 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 14:35

• tori86

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2011

I need some advice. I'm going to Koh Samui in October for a relaxing break. I am aware its rainy season but all the advice on the internet suggest only about 300mm all month. I am happy to have an afternoon down pour and even the slightly cooler evenings but I am worried that relaxing on the beach and sunbathing isnt going to be an option!?!?! Can anyone let me know what to expect. Paid a lot of money for this holiday and am now worried!

#6 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 19:25

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

you will get some rain but it will clear soon enough giving way to the glorious sunshine

#7 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 20:37

• tori86

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2011

Thank you so much! Huge relief! Just been reading everywhere that its full in monsoon!

#8 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 20:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.