Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Taking bootleg dvd's / video games out of Thailand to US?

• grndhouse

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

Posted from within Vietnam.

anyone ever had an issue with this? have about 20 in my backpack for xmas gifts. any info would be great! thanks

#1 Posted: 29/11/2009 - 21:06

• Advertisement

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Put them into a small box and mail them home. Takes about 10 days. Unless your pack was singled out for a complete search you probably wouldn't have a problem anyway. As I'm an old single male in Asia, I seem to get put into the "Chester the Molester" line a lot where they go through everything including my camera and computer.

#2 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 10:38

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

It'll probably cost more to post the DVDs home than you paid for them. Even then there's a very small chance they'll be searched and confiscated (just like if you have them in your luggage).

I've taken DVDs back into Canada (via the USA actually, carrying 10 or so DVDs) with no problem. If you do get searched and the DVDs found, it wouldn't be crazy if you said you didn't know they were bootlegged, that you just thought they were cheap there. The worst they'd probably do is confiscate them.

#3 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 11:55

• grndhouse

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

think a big ole bushy terrorist beard and a ton of tattoos will put me in the "chester molester" line as well?

might just pass em off to the girlfriend.
    thanks for the advice!

#4 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 22:11

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

When I was last in Thailand I bought 5-6 ripped Xbox 360 games for $5-6 each - none of them worked when I got back. He tested them for me on his machine, but it must have been modded. In any case, a ripped DVD shouldn't pose any problems but be weary of ripped games.

#5 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 00:14

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If they're in the telltale clear plastic sleeves with badly-reproduced packaging complete with ridiculous spelling errors, it's very likely customs will detect and confiscate them. I've had customs officers find them in my laptop bag and "threaten" to take them away but if I just have a few movies for my own personal viewing it's not a big deal and they've let me keep them.

In your case with 20 movies I would put them in a CD wallet in your checked luggage and discard the packaging material.

#6 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 14:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Also be aware that software may have viruses. I bough some in Malaysia recently; and the virus scanner picked up a virus almost immediately. I ended up binning it.

#7 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 17:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.