Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

THAILAND PLUGS? for electronics from the US

• omalleyjulia

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

hi does anyone know if i need a converter or something for my hair straightner (US plug) to work in thailand? or if its even the same plug? its a good quality straightner so does that mean it will have a converter built in? and is it the same with my camara charger?

#1 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 10:04

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

You can probably just visit you're local electronic shop and buy an adaptor that plugs into the Thai socket and you're hair straightener plugs into the other side.We run on 240 volts in Aus and I have no problems with an adaptor.Hope this helps as I hate to see a lady with unstraight hair.

#2 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 11:32

• omalleyjulia

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

ok i live in NZ but i have US electronics i just use an adaptor not converter to plug it in to the nz socket. so will it be the same for thailand? but i hear they have the same shape pins as US?

#3 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 11:40

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Outlet Thailand outlet America same same!

#4 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 11:47

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

omalleyjulia - I live in NZ too and I use a Europe plug which you can buy from larger chemists or Katmandhu or Dick Smith (look on the back label to check it fits Asia too). It's also a good idea to take a four gang NZ plug with you so you can charge a few things at a time (like camera battery, cellphone, use a travel hairdryer etc). Also, make sure that your appliances have the two NZ two pin plugs and not the three pin ones cos you can't buy the adaptors which fits the three pin plugs here in NZ. I know, I've tried recently and they don't have them - I think most of the more modern electric goods though have two pins on them however. Hope this helps - I think I paid NZ$15 for my one.

#5 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 15:28

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

And thank God that someone else is taking a hair straightener with them. My husband thinks I'm mad so I must show him your post... lol

#6 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 15:30

• omalleyjulia

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

ok so let me get this straight? if i plug my US electronics straight into the wall in thailand they will fit and wont blow up? and no you are not stupid for taking a hair straightner!! you may be on a tropical island but who says you still can't look good? ;)

#7 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 04:53

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Well apparently US and Thailand are the same but if you want to check, go to Dick Smiths and check the pins on both the Europe and US adaptors. I actually thought they were different.

#8 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 06:28

• moazgirl

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Location United States

They are the same plugs as the US. Not sure how long you are traveling for, but in my experience, you will will barely end up using a hair dryer, much less a straightener, so why take it??? It is just something extra to carry. (Not that it is that big or heavy, but it all adds up) I am a girly girl and well traveled, so I say this with experience.

#9 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 09:18

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

I know what you mean moazgirl, but for all the room my hair straightener takes up, it could mean the difference between me looking half decent and something the cat's brought in :) It's the one 'girly' thing I don't mind taking.

#10 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• moazgirl

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Location United States

I totally understand as a girly girl. I don't do much with my hair but I like to wear my make up at least when I go out, and I know there are lots of people who would say to not bring that. Bring what you want essentially. If it makes you feel better then do it:)

#11 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 09:44

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

I think I'm just fed up looking like a frizz ball when I travel - what with the humidity, heat, sun and sand and I always feel a mess compared with the young Asian women who seem to look so well groomed and un-sweaty! I thought for a change I'd try to make the effort ;)

#12 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 09:56

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"ok so let me get this straight? if i plug my US electronics straight into the wall in thailand they will fit and wont blow up? and no you are not stupid for taking a hair straightner!! you may be on a tropical island but who says you still can't look good?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Voltage in Thailand is different than the US!

http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

http://www.thailandguru.com/electricity-220volts-thailand.html

Yes, some outlets in Thailand will take US style plugs but if your electric device only works on 110/120 volts you will fry it! Also in Thailand it is 50 cycles vs. 60 cycle. Some electronic devices like cell phone chargers and laptop chargers will take both US electricity and higher voltages. Check your device and see what the voltage requirements are. Some hotels may have a special outlet for 110 volts but not all hotels, especially the cheap ones! I have seen some outlets with a sliding switch to allow either 220v or 110v.

You can pick up an adapter for around 40 baht that will allow a US plug to fit in a pin socket but it won't change the voltage. You can find these adapters even in some supermarkets.

So, bottom line is check your device and if your electric device says 110v don't plug it in just any old socket in Thailand!

Good luck.

#13 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 11:20

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The shape of the plug isn't the issue. The US-style twin flat prong deal fits into almost all Thai sockets. The issue is voltage. US uses 110v and Thailand uses 230-240v. If your device isn't multi-voltage compatible you don't want to plug it in here in Thailand. Look for "100-240v" or similar specification somewhere on the device. If you don't see that written anywhere it is probably 110v only and won't work here.

#14 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 11:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
260v plugs in Thailand? ... By cbg0927 on 7 Jan 2014 6 401 12 Jan 2014
Electronics shopping in Thailand ... By sapierre on 3 May 2009 12 8318 24 Feb 2010