Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok Late Arrival - Transfer to Ko Tao

• tristan99

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

Hi All - seeking advice: am arrivinginto Suvarnabhumi at 10.45pm on a Sunday, looking to get to Ko Tao - quickest seems to fly to Surat T (Nokair have flights for B1250/person leaving at 7am - but from Don Muang).

Is there a way to do it that isn't totally painful? wondering if we'll get through customs before midnight - where should we cab to and stay the night in order to make the connection? (some have suggested loitering around the airport...)
    Or should we can the idea and stay a few nights in Bangkok??
    Cheers,

#1 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 19:04

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

What is the big rush to avoid Bangkok? Bangkok is Thailand's capital city and worth a look. Spend a few days in Bangkok and see that city, why fly all the way to Thailand just to see a beach? Even in Bangkok and Chiang Mai you can get a tan walking around. You can take in some tours (travel agencies in major cities have menu selections of common popular tours.) You may even be able to arrange your own transportation from a local travel agency during this time. You will be able to catch up on your sleep, see the city, eat some good meals and in a relaxed way make your flight or other transportation. You can take a meter taxi to Don Muang from a hotel in Bangkok pretty easy. Just substitute Don Muang for Khao San Road in this sample, for Don Muang the taxi driver can use the side highway without the toll if it is early in the morning.
    http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-497302-1-1-Travel-0-1445238-Bangkok-discussion.html

Spend the last night in Bangkok also so you can do some last minute souvenir shopping and maybe an evening dinner cruise if you are a couple or some bar hopping if you are single. This way you will be closer to the airport where you only need a simple meter taxi ride to the airport. Some connecting flights can break down or be canceled and if you intend to fly in at the last minute you can lose your ride home.

When you Google up "how to get from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok" you will get lots of old posts telling you how to get a meter taxi or even how to get a bus. As of October 1, meter taxi sign up desks are now on the first floor out at the curb, not far from the Airport Express bus.
    Here is a link I wrote on another travel forum (near the middle) explaining transportation choices.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia/transportation-from-bangkok-airport.cfm

(Remember to ignore touts in the arrivals hall, you won't need an limo or other expensive transportation. Meter taxi or bus is okay. Fodors usually has a lot of wealthy travelers asking questions.)

I have been through the airport immigration and customs process many times, almost all of the time I have been able to complete the process and get my passport stamped before my bags have finally come out on the carousel. Wait until you get to Thailand to change your money over to Thai baht. You have to use their currency all the time. Lots of BANK money changers all over the city making it easy to change money. Get small bills when using taxi cabs, sometimes they claim to not have any change hoping you will say (stupidly) "keep the change!"

If you need hotel recommendations always mention how much you want to pay per night for you room to make it easier to find a place that fits your budget.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 19:10

• tristan99

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

Great thanks very much.
    We do plan on spending some time in Bangkok - i don't know why i got so hung up on getting straight down to the beaches.
    After further thought/reading i think we will stay in Bangkok for a few days and then get an overnight train south.
    I envisage we'll spend time in Bangkok at several different points in our (13 week) trip.
    Thanks for the posts.

#3 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 10:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
late night arrival in Bangkok ... By soccermom on 30 Sep 2006 2 3165 2 Oct 2006
Late Arrival to Noi Bai Airport ... By VanVan on 16 Oct 2007 2 2192 16 Oct 2007
Late Nite Arrival -- What to do? ... By KhowNeow11 on 7 Sep 2012 3 1296 18 Oct 2012
Best accomidations under $30 with a late flight arrival ... By sportyshannon on 23 Aug 2010 8 3503 6 Aug 2011
Late arrival in Phnom Penh ... By c676631 on 4 Jul 2014 1 206 5 Jul 2014
Visa on arrival late at night ... By cartolamagica on 10 Nov 2006 1 2188 10 Nov 2006