Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

New years, Koh Samet or Bangkok

Posted by sabenemmons on 1/12/2009 at 16:25

We are currently on a RTW trip and are heading to SEA. This will be our first time in Thailand. My younger brother is flying out to spend the holidays with us and it is his first time abroad at all. He will be in for Christmas through the new year. We are really stuck on what to do for New years and are looking for a little advice. We would like to stick around the Bangkok area (4-5 hours). We are down for a party but not a stupid cluster*&$% like the full moon parties. We were looking at Koh Samet as it fits our plan pretty well but are afraid it may be dead. Any opinions would be great!

A little about us. 20 somethings, American, 2 guys and a girl.

Thanks!
Saben
www.sabenandlin.com

#1 sabenemmons has been a member since 1/12/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by stevejames00 on 2/12/2009 at 18:46

I would like to know what people think about this too

#2 stevejames00 has been a member since 29/1/2009. Posts: 53
 Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/12/2009 at 08:07 admin

Ko Samet will most likely be heaving for New Years -- but could still be a good spot (assumming you can find a decent room). Another option (if you're not fussed about being on an island), could be Kanchanaburi -- but really depends a bit on your interests. there will be celebrations al over the country, so not too big a deal in that regard.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 3/12/2009 at 16:30

If you are down for a party I would stay in Bangkok proper. That's a city with nightlife and if you're younger brother is single he's probably going to want to "indulge" in the naughty nightlife.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 3/12/2009 at 16:32

I think Ko Samet will be anything but dead. In fact, I'm guessing it will be so busy that you won't be able to find a decent room at a decent price and that transport to/from the island will be overflowing.

Kanchanaburi is a good alternative, just as Somtam suggests. Ayutthaya is another good choice not too far from Bangkok but that should still have good celebrations. Bangkok will be jamming as well, and given the limited number of days you have available and the difficulty getting transportation over the New Year's holiday, I'd considering staying there too. Cheers.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by damo on 3/12/2009 at 16:44

what's a typical NYE like in thailand?

#6 damo has been a member since 9/11/2009. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.