Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

New years, Koh Samet or Bangkok

• sabenemmons

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2009

We are currently on a RTW trip and are heading to SEA. This will be our first time in Thailand. My younger brother is flying out to spend the holidays with us and it is his first time abroad at all. He will be in for Christmas through the new year. We are really stuck on what to do for New years and are looking for a little advice. We would like to stick around the Bangkok area (4-5 hours). We are down for a party but not a stupid cluster*&$% like the full moon parties. We were looking at Koh Samet as it fits our plan pretty well but are afraid it may be dead. Any opinions would be great!

A little about us. 20 somethings, American, 2 guys and a girl.

Thanks!
    Saben
    www.sabenandlin.com

#1 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 16:25

• Advertisement

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I would like to know what people think about this too

#2 Posted: 2/12/2009 - 18:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ko Samet will most likely be heaving for New Years -- but could still be a good spot (assumming you can find a decent room). Another option (if you're not fussed about being on an island), could be Kanchanaburi -- but really depends a bit on your interests. there will be celebrations al over the country, so not too big a deal in that regard.

#3 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 08:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you are down for a party I would stay in Bangkok proper. That's a city with nightlife and if you're younger brother is single he's probably going to want to "indulge" in the naughty nightlife.

#4 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 16:30

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I think Ko Samet will be anything but dead. In fact, I'm guessing it will be so busy that you won't be able to find a decent room at a decent price and that transport to/from the island will be overflowing.

Kanchanaburi is a good alternative, just as Somtam suggests. Ayutthaya is another good choice not too far from Bangkok but that should still have good celebrations. Bangkok will be jamming as well, and given the limited number of days you have available and the difficulty getting transportation over the New Year's holiday, I'd considering staying there too. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 16:32

• damo

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2009

what's a typical NYE like in thailand?

#6 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 16:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.