Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Taking the parents for a quick thai beach trip?

• lastmika

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2009

Taking the parents (late 50s) this week to thailand for 7 days.. a real quickie! Anyone have any advice on where to go that I can fly to easily, and also fits well with a group of three wanting to simply eat well (really well...) and relax? I'd stay in BKK the entire time, for simplicity's sake, but it wouldn't satisfy our second condition of relaxing properly.

I suppose that since the parents are involved the ideal trip lands us in bangkok and allows for some time there either before or after a trip down in one of the island areas.. But i'd be up for something different. I've been to Koh Lanta twice this year, so a flight to krabi isn't on the top of my list! I honestly can't think of much right now though. All your help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 23:17

• Advertisement

• NatashaThai-
    land

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi,

What a nice thing to do with your parents! Although you aren't keen on flying to Krabi, have you considered going to Railay Bay? It is a really beautiful place with an amazing beach and some great restaurants.

Ko Samui is an easy island option that you can fly to. I would recommend staying on Lamai beach, or one of the quieter beaches on the west or east coast as they arent' as busy as Chaweng.

Or you could fly to Phuket and then head to one of the smaller islands such as Ko Raya or Ko Yao Yai. Or you can fly to Ko Chang... there are loads of options.

Good luck!

#2 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 22:23

• lastmika

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2009

Oh great stuff!

Lots of good suggestions. I've been in krabi maybe a dozen times already, but have somehow never made it to Railay bay. I was hoping to fly into Phuket over krabi just because the flights seem cheaper, but the biggest problem with the flying times ends up being the transfer to the outlying islands in the early mornings. I honestly don't feel like spending a single night in Phuket simply to catch the morning boat someplace nice. Reaching Railay however, seems to be totally flexible in comparison, am I correct? Any boat anytime from Krabi. If that's the case then I'll spend the whole 100$ return flight to Krabi. I can't believe I'm letting 20$ come in the way of my plans here.

A few months back I ended up spending a few days on Koh rok, just sitting around and reading/swimming. I'd certainly go back there but it does seem like a hassle to get to if I need to first be in Koh Lanta and then transfer via speedboat from the southern tip of the island. Are there other ways to get here, OR do these other suggestions you had for Ko Raya and Yao Yai compare with this place.... This was as undeveloped as I've seen, but never been to a better beach before. Something comparable would be amazing..

#3 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 01:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'd recommend Phuket. It's not a top tourist destination for no reason. Food aplenty of various kinds, nice beaches, great scenery...

A lot of backpackers tend to diss it now but that's because they are trying to be contrarian. I would think it would appeal to your folks.

#4 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 09:06

• NatashaThai-
    land

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

That's the problem with all the smaller islands around Phuket and Ko Lanta - you need to spend the night on a bigger island before catching the speed boats/longtail boats.

Did you know that you can fly from Bangkok to Krabi with Air Asia? There are about 3 or 4 flights a day I think. Check out their website for timings.

Ko Yao Yai is pretty near Railay Bay, so you could spend a couple of days on Railay, then head to Yao Yai. This is a pretty undeveloped island with beautiful unspoilt beaches. Sounds quite similar to Ko Rok, but bigger in size. Ko Raya is a little more developed but it is still brilliant - I spent 5 days there in Nov 08 and really loved it. To get there you will need to spend the night in Phuket beforehand. But you could catch the latest Air Asia flight down to Phuket so you spend the least time possible there. Personally, I didn't like Phuket as it was so developed and busy, but it is ok if you just spend one night there I think.

Alternatively, you could fly from Bangkok to Trang with Nok Air and then go to Ko Hai, Ko Muuk or one of the other tiny islands in the Trang Archipelago. The ferry from Trang port leaves in the morning so you would need to catch an early morning flight.

#5 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 16:19

• lastmika

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2009

Hmm, nice suggestions.
    I'm also contemplating Koh Maak, since you had mentioned Koh Chang. Once I started looking in that direction, the thought of a 5 hour bus to Trat and then heading on a boat direct to an island in that area appealed to me a lot. Anyone have some experience there? I love avoiding extra flights if I can.

#6 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 16:24

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Bangkok Airways flies to Trat for Koh Chang or Mak. One hour morning flight,mini van onto ferry and you'll be eating lunch on the beach by about 1pm.Plenty of places to stay

#7 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 04:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Taking Thai Baht to Vietnam ... By CrankyCarrot on 10 Dec 2011 14 3405 3 Jan 2012
taking Thai motorbike to laos, possible? ... By sayadian on 15 Aug 2009 2 2280 15 Aug 2009