Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help with first time trip to Thailand, getting rather desperate :(

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

Hi, I am travelling to Thailand from Australia with a 4 day stop in Singapore. I will be flying into Bkk and I am travelling with my boyfriend who has never been out of Australia. I was thinking of going to Koh Chang (or one of the islands around there) but I would be open for any suggestions. We would be looking for a nice relaxing break as we have both been working way to hard over the festive season. Also as we are both chefs are there any good schools any one can suggest. Also we are on a fairly low budget too. Around $100 Australian per day including accom. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time :)

#1 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 21:46

• Advertisement

• NatashaThai-
    land

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi there! Great to hear that you are planning on visiting Thailand. It really is such a great country. Ko Chang is a great choice. It is easy to get to (5 hours by bus or a short flight) and isn't too built up. The beaches are great and the atmosphere is pretty laid back. There are loads of different accommodation options too, so you can spend as little or as much as you like.

If you are feeling a bit more adventurous you could catch a sleeper train down to Surat Thani and then get a ferry over to Ko Phangan. This is one of my favourite islands - beautiful beaches and a a great party atmosphere on Haad Rin beach (right at the southern tip of the island). Or, you could catch an Air Asia flight down to Krabi and visit Railay Bay... There are so many options!!!

In terms of cooking schools, you'll be able to arragne thsi when you get there. Most places will have a cooking course available somewere on the island.

#2 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 22:15

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You don't say when you are going, or for how long. That info would help if you'd like some suggestions regarding places to go to.

Koh Chang is okay, but I prefer the smaller nearby islands (Mak and Wai.)

I also find the stretch of the Mekong River between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai to be one of the most laidback parts of the country. If you're wanting to just kick back in a hammock and look at water for a while, take in some slow and easy travel, and see some beautiful countryside, this area is a great substitute to the islands. It is also very inexpensive AND an excellent place for food, something which is probably quite near and dear to your hearts.

I can't recommend any cooking schools because I've never wanted to go to one. However, you will find that Thai cooks are very open to those interested in watching and learning from them. You don't need to speak the language, you just have to be polite and pay attention.

For 2 people, your budget will be more than adequate for general traveling there, unless you stay in mid to high end hotels and resorts.

What are you getting desperate about? You're very fortunate to be going. You should be excited.

#3 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 03:47

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

KC - is grossly overdeveloped and will probably be pretty crowded over Xmas and New Year - check room availability and prices.

#4 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 09:59

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

Well, first of all , thanks for all the information and tips! :)
    And yes,Tilapia, a date and timeframe would be useful. I wrote the first post after work so I was a little frazzled. Xmas is a very full on time for the hospitality industry.
    We are leaving Sydney on 8th March, arriving Singapore early evening, arriving Bangkok afternoon 12th March . After that I have no idea, apart from having to be back in Singapore by the 21st for our flight back to Sydney.

As to my desperation, I guess there are just too many amazing places to see I am having trouble choosing which one and cursing that I had wrangled more time off from the boss. I have been to Singapore before , so I am cool about that, but having never been to Thailand I felt it best to get some advice from people who have been. I might find somewhere even cooler, lol

#5 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 11:18

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi Ally,

Click on the "Islands" link at the top of the page. Great article which should help narrow down your choices. It has definatley helped with the planning of my next trip to Southern Thailand.

Because you are only spending just over a week in Thailand, I would suggest choosing one destination that inspires you and sticking to that. You dont want to see most of the country through the window of a vehicle and you definatley sound like you need some relaxation which will be almost impossible if you try to fit in more than one or two places in 9 days.

For me planning the trip is half the fun, so relax and go just with your instincts and you're bound to have a great trip :)

#6 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 10:53

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

Thanks for all the help. I was thinking maybe I would just have to pick one place and stick with it :)

#7 Posted: 14/12/2009 - 09:46

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You could take a couple cooking courses in Chiang Mai . That way you could also see some of the scenery and people that make Thailand unique. Even in Chiang Mai you can get a tan!

Thailand will be much cheaper than Singapore, by the way.

Have a nice holiday.

#8 Posted: 14/12/2009 - 11:15

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Singapore is extremely expensive in comparison to anywhere in Thailand,if possible I'd cut my four days to one night if your budget is a big concern. I prefer Thailand anyway.

#9 Posted: 18/12/2009 - 10:18

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

Thanks, I know Singapore is expensive but I am committed to that time frame because I am meeting up with my Dad there before he flies out from there to Yunnan in China. (Plus he is helping pay for the accommodation in Singapore anyway :P )

And yes I have considered Chang Mai but my boyfriend is a bit of a beach bum so I have agreed we can go hang out on a nice beach somewhere. Going overseas scares him a little so I am humouring him lol.

I am still thinking Koh Chang may be a good option because it is still tourist friendly but seems not be as crowded as down south and easier to get to from BKK. Does any one have any suggestions for a good budget place to stay there?

Thanks once again for all the advice

#10 Posted: 19/12/2009 - 07:30

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
12 day trip to Thailand first time! ... By Nikita26 on 18 Jan 2013 3 1651 19 Jan 2013