Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Suggestions on 25days in Thailand, starting January 1st

• brainatwork

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

Hello everyone,

thanks for all the great information that you're all sharing :)

Me and my girlfriend are coming to BKK on January 1st and have to go back on the 25th.

We were in the southern part of Thailand last year - phuket, phi phi

This year, the idea is to:
    - fly to Chiang Mai, rent a big bike and tour for a couple of days (any tips on which loop to do?)

- fly somewhere south to relax, Koh pan gan?

- fly to Singapore for 2,3 days
    - eventually do Lombok (or anything else for that matter)
    in Indonesia instead of Thailand beaches?
    - oh yeah.. we'd also like to get married somewhere on a beach (have a little Thai ceremony, flip flops and t-shirts, nothing fancy - the two of us)

I havent booked no flights or made no reservations apart from the 1st few nights in BKK, should I do it now or on the spot? From my last year's experience I lean towards the "there and then" option, but it was in November.. January is supposed to be the peak season?

Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated:)

Thank you,
    Harris

#1 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 02:26

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Harris,

Here is a great source of info for motorcycling around Thailand and Laos, but especially Northern Thailand ... http://www.gt-rider.com/

Don't forget that last year tourism was way down because of the political unrest and airport closure. I suspect this year will be much busier (but I would not bother reserving anything except a room for my arrival and, possibly, departure days). Only because I don't like being locked into schedules.

#2 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 04:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For biking out of Chiang Mai, the Mae Hong Son Loop is a great one -- but really need more than just a couple of days to do it justice...

Bear in mind Jan in Bali Lombok is wet season, so I'd be getting married in Thailand if I was you (congrats by the way!)

You're going to be flying quite a few legs -- I'd be checking the budget airline websites now if I was you -- to get better fares.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 11:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"- oh yeah.. we'd also like to get married somewhere on a beach (have a little Thai ceremony, flip flops and t-shirts, nothing fancy - the two of us)"

Do you mean "Get married" or do you mean just do a little ceremony? Getting married in Thailand if neither of you is Thai will doubtless involve a bunch of paperwork in a bunch of offices somewhere.

#4 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 18:00

• brainatwork

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

Hello again,

thanks everyone :)

@samtam2000
    "a couple of days" meant as long as we like it :) I'm actually thinking of buying a one way plane ticket to CM and then see how it develops (so we're not tied to flight schedules), thanks for the tip :)

@madmac
    we basically will "get married" :) it doesn't have to be completely legal, the idea is to have a ceremony and then when we get back we'll sign the papers in our home country. we'd consider the legal way, but like you said - we don't feel like spending 3,4 days running bureaucracy

#5 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 19:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Riding 7 days North Vietnam starting January 14th, anyone want to join? ... By flyingcub on 5 Jan 2011 0 1880 5 Jan 2011