Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

ferries from phi phi to ko yao yai

• jwgacy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Please can someone tell me a website or any info on ferries from phi phi to ko yao yai, I have spent the last 4 night searching and very little info it seems thow we must go to Phuket which seems silly so any ifo would be nice jw

#1 Posted: 15/12/2009 - 03:18

• Advertisement

• Bilby09

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

I was looking into the same thing but couldn't find any other option other than going to Phuket or Krabi first. I contacted one of the resorts and they said they would do a speedboat transfer for 2000baht which is pretty steep.

#2 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 15:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No, no direct boats (aside from perhaps private charters) -- you need to go via Phuket or Krabi.

#3 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 16:31

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yep, and Phuket would be much easier - the Jian Warnet (Gan Wanet) pier near Phuket town is about 500m “upriver” from the popular Rassada pier used by most Phi Phi ferries. There are 2 ferries per day. Heimat Garden’s transport page http://www.heimatgardens.com/ferry_times.php shows a car ferry leaving at 1000, but my morning boat was a smaller passenger+goods job which could also take motorcycles via a plank to the upper deck - at 1030. The vehicle ferry was moored alongside, running in the afternoon that day.

From Krabi a big longtail ferry leaves Ao Thalen about 1 hour north of Krabi town in the afternoon. Songthaews to Ao Thalen leave from outside the Vogue department store in Krabi town - they go via the bus station and the lady who runs the small travel agency there will tell you when and where it will arrive. There is also a speedboat leaves from Ao Nang near Krabi town/Railay. Note both these land on the north Yao Yai piers - all but one of the resorts are in the south and they don't call this Long (Yai) island for nothing.

#4 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 20:32

• jwgacy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Thanks for the info and it seems we have to go to phuket

#5 Posted: 24/12/2009 - 03:52

• cncbill

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

I will be taking a ferry today from Koh Yao Noi direct to Phi Phi. I'm told service started 3 days ago. Ferry leaves at 1:00 and takes 2.5 hours. Don't have all the details yet as my hotel made the arrangements. They even had to make a number of phone calls to verify service is operational. If I have the opportunity to post information later I will. Meanwhile, for those interested I thought I'd let people know such a service has begun.

#6 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 09:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

cncbill -- thanks for the report!

#7 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 13:07

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Yep cn - please give us some feedback once you have done the trip. The service is good news.

#8 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 18:06

• cncbill

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

Took the trip yesterday. It does exist! The cost is 400 Baht and departure time is 1:00 from Manoh pier. I'm a little confused by who operates the service as the names on the receipt and the ferry differ. Receipt is from "Krabi Phi Phi Don Tour" and their phone is 075-819394. Ferry boat was named "Phi Phi Chuket" and the phone number on the crew's shirts was 089-9085571.
    Ferry is big with capacity of perhaps 100 people but only 6 paying customers were on-board though. Unless service catches on who knows how long it will last.

#9 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 11:00

• jwgacy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Thank you for all the info and replys we are at the moment in cambodia and traveling to Thailand soon we ahve a strange fight to Langkawi then up slowy to Krabi so might not have time to do what we planed but thank you again for the input M

#10 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 17:45

• Advertisement

• snakefisch

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

Has anyone else done this trip recently? I need to know it is possible lol.
    We are going to Ko Yao Yai on the East side in December, coming from Lipe via Lanta. Thinking it is easier to get there from Phi Phi than Ao Nang. Anyone have a website or something I can check boat times?
    TIA

#11 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 06:37

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Andaman Island Hopping websit always takes a while to get up to date, but they have had a while on this. Nothing there as far as I can see.

#12 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 19:56

• snakefisch

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

hmm, do you know if there is a boat that runs? We are heading there just after Xmas so need to know whether to stay at Lanta or Phi Phi for the night coming from Lipe. I'd prefer to go via Phi Phi but only if it is possible! haha

#13 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 05:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

I just had a look at Yao Yai's Heimat Garden's website - the lady runs the joint is pretty conscientious in her transfer info - but there is nothing about getting directly to/from Phi Phi.
    Maybe an email to her or one of the other resorts would be the go. Last I heard, Yao Yai Island Resort had its own speedboat for transfers - no doubt they could pick you up on PP but it may cost a bomb.

Please update us when you finish your trip.

#14 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 18:55

• snakefisch

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

Cool! Yes that's where we're staying. I had a look at that stuff too and contacted her but not had a response yet.
    I will let you know :)

#15 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 05:26

• snakefisch

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

OK so I don't think there is a direct way so we are going to go from Lanta to Phuket via Phi Phi, and from Phuket get speedboat across to Yao Yai, which is at the right side we want rather than coming from Ao Nang. We were gonna stop off at Phi Phi but I don't think we will now as I heard it is not great any more.
    Can't wait!
    p.s. does anyone have advice: we could stay 1 night on Lanta and 3 on Yao Yai or 2:2, which would be best? I heard both these islands are nice but Yao Yai seems like it's more untouched.. :) any thoughts?

#16 Posted: 17/11/2012 - 05:59

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Um - just a personal observation. I like Lanta. I also like Yao Yai. I would do 2-2.
    Yao Yai is a big island (just as big as Lanta- btw I think Yai means BIG) - there is enough there to fill 2 days/nights. Or more.

#17 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 00:27

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

We are branch there just afterwards Xmas so charge to apperceive whether to break at Lanta or Phi Phi for the night advancing from Lipe. I'd adopt to go via Phi Phi but alone if it is possible! haha

#18 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 01:42

• snakefisch

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

Thanks for your thoughts Tezza! I am thinking the same now, especially since I've found this lovely new resort (coco lanta) got a bungalow reserved right on the beach front on Klong Khong. Is that beach good?

Just don't want to get to Yao Yai and think wow wish we spent more time here. But I guess there's always future trips..!

Maria, I think coming from Lipe getting to Phi Phi in one day is a big trip, getting to Lanta is 3 hrs and Phi Phi is I think 45 mins quickest from there. I have heard Lanta is much nicer than Phi Phi so I will let you kno :) We won't be stopping at Phi Phi tho so won't be able to compare it.

#19 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 05:41

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Nothing wrong with Klong Kong. Nice enough beach, plenty of alternative restaurants/bars along the beach and up on the main road. Not quite half way down the island but close enough making it a good base for checking other spots.

#20 Posted: 19/11/2012 - 00:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.