Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Asia Itinerary- Critique please!

• sarandjer

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2009

Hi!
    I'd love some advice on my upcoming trip. I'm going with my husband for about 5 months, leaving next week!
    Originally our thought was to go to less places for longer periods of time. We really wanted to spend more time in India and steer further away from the very well travelled touristy areas. We would really like to spend a chunk of time doing some volunteer work in a smaller community (we're thinking India, but are open to suggestions). Somehow after talking to friends who have done the S.E.A. loop we ended up putting together a pretty standard backpacker itinerary and have shortened our stay in India.

I would love some advice on some spots/experiences that we shouldn't miss, where we should spend more or spend less time (or not even bother visiting), any suggestions for volunteer opportunities. We aren't necessarily interested in the party scene or beaches (that said a little of that is definitley ok)
    Thank you!

Itinerary

Dec 24-27: Bangkok
    Dec 27- Overnight to Kanchanaburi?
    Dec 27-Jan 10: Chiang Mai + Pai
    Jan 10- Pai to Laos (via Mekong)
    Jan 10-Jan 24: Laos
    Jan 24: overland to Siem Reap, Cambodia
    Jan 24-Feb 7: Cambodia
    Feb 7: fly from Phnom Penh to Hanoi Vietnam
    Feb 7- Feb 21: Vietnam
    Feb 21: fly from HCMC to Thailand – south
    Feb 21- Mar 7: Southern Thailand
    Mar 7-18: Southern Thailand (Koh Tao, Koh Lanta, Ao Nang, Koh Samui, Koh Panang, Koh Phi Phi, islands off West Coast near Krabi )
    Mar 18: fly Krabi to KL Malaysia
    Mar 18- April 01: Malaysia (Perhentian Islands, Penang, KL, Melaka, Cameron Highlands, Taman Negara- Borneo jungles)
    April 01: Singapore to Bali
    April 01- Apr 20: Bali/Indonesia
    Apr 20: Bali to Dehli
    April 20- May 17: India
    May 17: Mumbai to San Francisco

#1 Posted: 15/12/2009 - 05:19

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Very ambitious trip! At the end of 5 months of "togetherness" you will either be filing for a divorce or attached at the hip for life! (If you haven't killed each other!)

Money wise have you compared the price of flying round trip to Bangkok compared to one way flights home from Mumbai with one way arrival at Bangkok? Some one way flights are almost as expensive as round trip flights.

If a round trip to to and from Bangkok is cheaper than two one way flights you might want to fly back to Suvarnabhumi for you ride home. Or not if saving money doesn't matter.

If you haven't traveled overseas before you have to figure out how to keep yourself in enough money to pay for stuff. If you are experienced you must know that you have to first notify your bank that you will be out of the country using credit and/or debit cards and which countries or your ATM withdrawals may be denied because of suspected fraud! You also must have contingency plans if your money is stolen or lost and you are far from home. Keep in touch with family and friends so they know where you are at all times and where you are going for safety reasons!

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 15/12/2009 - 09:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Please critique my 45 day SE asia itinerary ... By relf on 9 Apr 2008 3 3432 11 Apr 2008
Critique our itinerary: 26 days in SE Asia ... By pcharrig on 21 Feb 2011 4 3730 21 Aug 2012
Itinerary critique please! ... By Bradders on 1 Apr 2013 10 1940 15 Apr 2013
69 day trip - please critique my itinerary ... By daflj on 24 Sep 2008 7 2609 27 Oct 2008
One month Itinerary - please critique! ... By mikefly on 19 May 2013 24 1909 25 May 2013
October in SEA / 26 Day Itinerary Critique Please ... By SupremoSkelator on 5 Sep 2012 2 1362 6 Sep 2012
Critique my Trip Itinerary ? ... By powahgen on 17 Aug 2011 5 2693 18 Aug 2011
Critique the Itinerary- do I have time to do more? ... By Sidiki on 7 Aug 2013 15 1100 9 Aug 2013
Critique my Thailand itinerary! ... By TorontoJay on 1 Aug 2013 5 1307 5 Aug 2013
3-month SEA itinerary - please critique ... By adaminasia on 7 Aug 2013 33 2271 12 Aug 2013