Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cave lodge, kayaking and caving, anyone interested?

• Louw

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Location South Africa

Hi all,

We are heading to Cave lodge in Sop pong (Pang Mapha) 15 February 2010 to 19 February and we were wondering if there's anyone out there that wants to form a group to do kayaking and caving. Because we are only two people so far, we need 4 more. We want to do the 2 day kayaking trip.

http://www.cavelodge.com/twoday.htm

We are also going to do the rafting through Tham Nam Lod (Lod Cave). 300 000 Swifts(birds) fly into the cave at sunset. Its a world phenomena.
    If you don't know what to do in Chiang Mai yet click the link.
    Its a 4 hour scenic drive by minivan (250Baht) down to Soppong. The trips are organized and ran by an Australian.

Very cheap lodging rate at Cave lodge as well.

#1 Posted: 18/12/2009 - 23:07

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you can't rustle up a group beforehand, you shouldn't have many probs getting one together at cave Lodge -- it is a popular spt.

Enjoy!

#2 Posted: 19/12/2009 - 09:54

• lucky13

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2009

We're going to be up at cave lodge from the 6th-9th of Feb, looks like good fun!

Shall try and let you know how it goes, hadn't considered the two day kayaking but it looks like it could be pretty exciting. We're certainly keen to do some kayaking and a bit of cycling/exploring the surrounding area.

Enjoy your trip!

#3 Posted: 20/12/2009 - 07:29

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 7

We'll be at Cavelodge from the 9th-11th Feb, and sure want to do some kayaking but not two days, though it sounds like great fun! Time is just too short to do all the great stuff around there.

#4 Posted: 20/12/2009 - 16:48

• grndhouse

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

was at cave lodge in oct. great spot. did the 1 day kayaking trip. real nice. flipped at the 1st dam.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2009 - 17:24

• Louw

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Location South Africa

Hi Lucky13 and Dutchgirl!

How are you guys getting to Soppong? by minibus and motorbike taxi?

Did you guys make reservations already for next year at Cave lodge because we tried but John told us to let him know next year again.

Hope you guys enjoy the trip!

#6 Posted: 20/12/2009 - 22:30

• lucky13

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2009

Hi Louw,

I think if we can organise it we will try to get a minivan or car, but otherwise I understand that normal buses go to Soppong, so we'll jump on one of those, and then a motorcycle taxi.

I had originally emailed John a while ago and he had just said to give him a couple of days warning from Chiang Mai, as that time of year is busier. However now that our plans are a bit more sure, I've emailed him and asked for a room to be reserved, which didn't seem to be a problem. I also figured that was the best way to make sure we got the room we wanted- a 390B one.

I think it is the sort of place where they would always manage to fit you in somewhere if you showed up, but sure it equally doesn't hurt to book and just let them know if plans change.

#7 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 03:29

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 7

Hi Louw,

I just started a new topic, where I tell that we'll go by rental car to Cave Lodge. We rented a big Ford Ranger at North Wheels in Chiang Mai. Driving to Doi Inthanon/Mae Chaem first, and next day to Cave Lodge (if that's possible).
    I also sent John an email, because although I trust his word that he always has room, I rather not sleep in a dorm. So I asked for a bungalow and hope he will reply before February. If not, I call him from Chiang Mai.

#8 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 04:35

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

After my experience at the Cave lodge I agree that it is the best to reserve desired bungalow in advance. Sure John said that they'll always find a place for you but if you prefer to have a bungalow with own shower, reserve it.

A word of advice: the communication via email with them is not very useful, generally the answer we were getting when asking about different activities was: talk to our staff once you arrive. Well that was not really helpful when we had limited time there. we were interested in caving, so if that's something you wish to do, they run 3 caving programs, there is a minimum of 4-5 people per trip, if you do not find that many you pay for them. Which was our case, but we were glad we opted to do so as the caving was great. Bring your own headlamp, the one (2 actually) provided by Cave lodge did not last very long and it was very useful to have my own.
    Their operation is a bit disorganized (or may have been due to the fact John was gone and it was run by someone else at the time of our visit).
    If you wish to do a certain activity the following day, make sure you reserve it day ahead and double check they arrange it.
    We requested to use their bikes a night before only to be provided with useless bikes, empty wheels, broken wires to the speed change wires in the morning at the time we wanted to leave. So we spent at least an hour trying to pump an air into all 4 of them, testing them to find out that 2 out of 4 were not working.

#9 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 22:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to arrange caving in Chom Ong cave, Oudomxay area? ... By boleslav on 5 Oct 2013 5 920 11 Oct 2013