Apologies if these questions are constantly repeated - I've read back through the board for a while but still have some queries!
1. We are arriving in Bangkok about midday on October 21st and want to fly straight to Chiang Mai - should we arrange this flight now or can we do it at Bangkok airport when we arrive?
2. Clothes - I'm concerned not to offend anyone with shorts/strappy tops - am I better off sticking to skirts and long sleeves? Also - footwear - can I generally wear flip flops/Birkenstocks (in restaurants/temples/shops etc)? Also, I read that bikinis even on beaches/in the sea are frowned upon?
3. We have 2 weeks - first stop is Chiang Mai for a few days then we have nothing arranged until the last 2 days in Bangkok. Is there anywhere we really SHOULD visit? We'd like culture and beaches and beauty and food!
4. Is it best to leave bargain shopping until Bangkok?
Sorry for bombarding with questions! Many thanks x
#1 cherry has been a member since 2/10/2006. Posts: 3
Welcome to Travelfish!
1) If you book your ticket now, you'll probably get a better price as the further in advance you buy the ticket, the cheaper it is. Look into Nok Air and AirAsia for cheapie tickets (see the FAQ for links to their websites.
2) Shorts, strappy tops are fine, except in temples. Sandals fine everywhere except the Grand Palace. No probs with bikinis while you're on the beach, but wear a sarong or something like that when you leave the beach.
3) Hmmm, difficult to say -- there's so much to do! Take a look at the Trip Planner section, for some suggested itineraries. If you want to cover the north and the south, look into making good use of the budget airlines...the fares are really cheap. Also for Chiang Mai, be sure to read exacto's trip report on Chiang Mai. If I had to make some suggestions, I;d say look into Pai in the north, and either Ko Samet or perhaps Ko Phi Phi in the south -- though watch the weather with your southern island choice.
4) Bangkok is a shoppers paradise, but so is Chiang Mai -- the Sunday Walking Market in Chiang Mai is awesome!
Hope that helps!
Hello sontam2000 - huge thanks for your reply! V helpful! x
#3 cherry has been a member since 2/10/2006. Posts: 3