Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Honeymoon Gulf of Thailand May or June/

• skittles_22-

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Hi,
    We are getting married May 15th 2010 and are looking to visit Thailand on our honeymoon (2-3 weeks). I saw the weather on the Gulf of Thailand is much drier than on the west coast at this time. Can we expect days of sun, enough to sunbathe, visit the national parks, waterfalls etc? Also is the water safe for swimming at this time of year? Would we get better weather in June than May, I see May as quite a bit more rainy?
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 11:04

• Advertisement

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Congratulations!

Where in the Gulf are you planning on going? Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan and Koh Tao on the east coast should certainly be drier than the west coast (Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi etc), which you are probably best off avoiding if the weather is your only concern.

Further east, Koh Chang will be drenched the whole time you are there (902mm mean rainfall in June, with 26 rainy days out of 30!). Best bet as far as I am concerned would be to head to Koh Samet - nice and close to Bangkok so you'll cut down on travelling time, and it would make a nice honeymoon spot.

I was there in May last year and the weather was fine - okay, so you get the odd bit of rain, but nothing that's going to ruin your time there. Not been in June but according to Travelfish's interactive climate map, June is even drier (I am basing this on Pattaya, very close by).

Ironically, November is meant to be quite a dry month but I was there (Samet) last month and it poured down for a good couple of days - so you never really can tell! You'll have a lovely time whatever though.

#2 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 18:33

• skittles_22-

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Thank you for all the info. In particular we were thinking Ko Samui and visiting the Angthong National Park. Not planning on Phuket at all, I know that it's the rainy season there so were not taking a chance. An afternoon here and there is fine, were just worried about all day rain. Do you know if it rains in the evening mostly?

#3 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 00:47

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

I've not yet been to Samui myself but according to the weather map, it has an average of about 15 rainy days a month in May and June - 144mm in May and 109mm in June. From experience elsewhere, I've known it to rain at various times, but I think it's unlikely to go on and on to the extent that it ruins your holiday. Let us know what you decide...

#4 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 16:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

May is kinda tricky, because if you look at the stats in WEATHERFISH's interactive weather map, most places get a little blip of extra rain that is only surpassed late in the wet season.
    But the stats also tell you the places with LEAST rain are the southern Gulf islands (Samui and neighbours) and Ko Samet.

Okay, Samui gets that blip - and Junes do tend to be statisically drier there. But if I was personally going and May was more convenient than June, I'd go for the earlier month.

#5 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 17:46

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Oh yeah, water quite swimmable every month.

#6 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 17:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather in Gulf of Thailand/ Ko Chang in June ... By dion1927 on 31 May 2006 2 6022 31 May 2006
Honeymoon in Thailand & Cambodia in June ... By mfree on 4 Feb 2010 5 2660 13 Feb 2010
Honeymoon June/July in Thailand or Malaysia? ... By maribsa on 23 Feb 2010 4 6465 5 Mar 2010
Which Gulf Island In June ... By moellercl on 20 Feb 2014 1 454 20 Feb 2014
Gulf or Andaman Sea in June? ... By trudat on 25 Jan 2008 2 2304 26 Jan 2008
Cambodia in June for Honeymoon ... By rebmanjm on 18 Jan 2013 8 2786 25 Feb 2013