Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

7 weeks in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia

• Cary

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

Hey there all you helpful folks, I'm a 25 year old Canadian male taking my first trip to SE asia, Arriving late Jan and staying until mid march.

I'm going with my girlfriend, we don't have any sort of rigid schedule to stick to. We arrive in BKK and plan to stay a couple nights before taking a plane or train south to Surat Thani, at which point we'll head to the islands (not sure which yet) in search of some inexpensive beach bungalows.
    After a week or two lazing about the beaches, things get a little hazy, we want to see Laos and Cambodia as well as northern thailand, but haven't really decided on a route.

Any practical advice on places to go/avoid, places to stay (ideally no more than $20-25 per night) must do activities, must eat foods, etc. would be much appreciated.

Both of us are fairly novice travellers. We're not really into the BOOMBOOM electronic music parties, but we are young and do like to let loose a bit, preferably rock/reggae bars.
    We're not really into extreme sports, so cliff diving isn't really our idea of a good time.

Must visit locations are Krabi (and surrounding beaches/islands) Angkor and Chiang rai, other than that, we're pretty open to anything.

We don't have a super tight budget to stick to, but any idea of how much we might spend over this time would be welcome. I've been saving up for a year, it would be a shame to see all my money disappear unexpectedly in the first couple weeks.

Also I know that drugs are completely illegal throughout that area, but I understand that certain "happy" restaurants that are tolerated by law enforcement can be found, I was just looking for a little bit more information about that sort of thing. (everybody likes to get a little "happy" sometimes)

Thanks so much in advance for any and all input (even negative), we're very excited and looking forward to seeing three beautiful countries.

-Cary and Jenn

#1 Posted: 1/1/2010 - 03:54

• Advertisement

• Cary

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

Sorry if this is a thread that occurs every day on this site, but any input would really be appreciated.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2010 - 08:06

• shadek

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

I would give it a try to Lanta and Koh Jum (as I will be doing in Feb/10!), both pretty and easy to get to from Krabi, and good value for money. There are loads of info here on both islands, like accomodation recommendations. If u r not into big parties and electronic music, I would recommend u to skip KPNG.
    What about some trek in Northen Thailand, since u will be going to Chiang Rai?

#3 Posted: 2/1/2010 - 15:36

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

With 6 weeks or so, you could make a decent loop through Cambodia and Southern/Central Laos (either crossing to Thailand in the south or going all the up to Vientiane) and end up in Northern Thailand.

In Cambodia, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh are the obvious choices. I could also recommend Battambang, Kompong Chhnang for some more rural vibes, and Kratie as a good stop-over on the way to Laos. In Laos I've only been to the south but enjoyed motorbiking around the Bolaven Plateau area enormously. Si Phan Don is also a most relaxing area, and not anywhere as annoying as other sites of similar popularity tend to be. I'd be happy to answer if you have more specific questions, esp. regarding Cambodia.

As regards the happy, it is indeed illegal in all the SEA countries, but quite available. The quality varies greatly. In Thailand, be very careful if you intend to partake. On some islands it might be relatively safe but definitely not in any major towns. In Cambodia, things are somewhat more relaxed but you should still not indulge in public or anything like that. Don Det in Laos is the only place I've seen it openly on the menu...

#4 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 00:15

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Oh, and on the costs: Assuming you spend about $10 each on accommodation, a budget of $30 a day ($10 for acc., $10 for food, $10 for misc.) could be a good reference point.

#5 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 00:16

• Cary

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed replies.

I just purchased a little netbook (for $250) so I'll be sure to update this thread with my current adventures and questions as my travels progress.

#6 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 03:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and/or Laos ... By awnyc on 2 Aug 2010 1 2170 2 Aug 2010
3 weeks in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia ... By ross8 on 19 Jun 2012 2 2511 20 Jun 2012
5 weeks in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia ... By jwheld2 on 1 Dec 2013 4 729 5 Dec 2013
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - 5 weeks ... By catty1987 on 2 Mar 2011 18 4474 23 Apr 2011
thailand,cambodia & laos in 3 weeks?? ... By halongbay07 on 4 Mar 2009 4 2749 7 Mar 2009
5 weeks - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia ... By Lewis2312 on 23 May 2014 46 1837 11 Jun 2014
12 Weeks Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam ... By alssolotour on 10 Aug 2009 2 4140 11 Aug 2009
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos in 4 weeks... ... By JourneymanTraveller on 4 Jul 2010 6 5178 27 Sep 2010
Thailand/Cambodia/Laos 6 WEEKS ITINERARY ... By charlottem92 on 19 May 2014 6 507 20 May 2014
6 Weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand ... By carzyyy on 13 Apr 2013 5 2221 14 Apr 2013