Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station connection

• sashanyc28

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

Can anyone tell me the fastest way to get from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to the Hualamphong train station..

I am arriving on a 16:35 flight from Yangon on Bangkok Airways on Wednesday 20 January..

I would ideally like to take the 20:00 (8pm) overnight train to Nong Khai (for Vientiane Laos) from Bangkok.

Realistically.. Can I land in Bangkok at 4:30pm in the afternoon, retrieve the luggage, clear Customs & Immigration, jump into a taxi (or MTR) and make it to Hualamphong train station with enough time to catch the 8pm train?

Or should I not risk it and stay one night in Bangkok?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many Thanks and Happy New Year!!

#1 Posted: 1/1/2010 - 10:43

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

You may make it if you're plane is on time and you get a good run through Immigration etc. But then you've got to deal with the traffic if you go by road and 1700 is peak time..Not sure if the 'skytrain' link is operating yet.If I were you I'd plan on staying in Bangkok for the night and go the next day.Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 1/1/2010 - 13:51

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

When I was last in Bangkok (last month), I landed at 3.55pm and was out of the airport getting into a taxi to Rayong by 4.30pm. If I'd have been working to the same schedule as you I would have been able to get the train after landing at 4.30pm, if you see what I mean. It's always a gamble but you might well be able to do it.

#3 Posted: 1/1/2010 - 19:03

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say yes, it's possible, but it's doubtful that you'll get a sleeper berth unless you've got one reserved already.

You might want to try to catch it at Bang Sue Station. It's a bit further from Hualamphong, but you will probably avoid some congestion.

#4 Posted: 1/1/2010 - 23:28

• Kruzon

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010
    Location Cape Verde

It should be really simple decision because when you travel in Thailand DO NOT expect time to be relavent to your needs. YOU are best off to begin day 1 with a relaxed, patient not rushed experience. When you can then make appropriate bookings and arrangements the following day. If you should spend the first day in Bangkok I highly recommend a morning group cooking class from Ma-Sa-Man Cooking School & Bakery as Their trip to the market will inform you on the foods of Thailand and the cooking experience will teach you what deliscious Thai food is! For their full details visit http://www.cookingschoolsintl.com or from inside Thailand the temporary site is http://www.ma-sa-man.zxq.net

#5 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 12:27

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Kruzon what does your blatant spam business promotion have to do with getting from the airport to the train station? Shame on you ;-)

#6 Posted: 9/7/2010 - 20:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Sashany
    In contrast to Kruzon, I highly recommend a massage and a beer to start off your trip the right way. I do agree with his (her?) position that I wouldn't rush about right out of the plane. But a cooking class? WTF?

#7 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 15:50

• Kruzon

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010
    Location Cape Verde

Here's two good reasons why to take a cooking class and particularly a Ma-SA-Man Cooking School Class.

First you will learn about the fruits and vegetableas of Thailand on the market tour, things like which ones are hot in body and which ones are cold too many hots without a cold fruit can make you sick.

Second good reason is you will learn what deliscious Thai food tastes like and what makes that difference and you will know when you've been served poor food on your travels. You will learn to request all outside food vendors to not add MSG to your meal and you can learn to say these expressions in Thai.

A third reason: Chef Lee has spent a lifetime in Bangkok and area and is a very useful source of information and is a most friendly personal contact.

#8 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 07:13

• Kruzon

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010
    Location Cape Verde

I apologise for the blatant hyperlinks in my text but for the past few months, as a result of Thai Gov't web crawlers, not a human being but an piece of software, the web site in question is one of some 85,000 websites, or so as I was told, that are according to internaltional website agreements / law, are illegally blocked. The blog on the site was removed months ago so there is nothing but cooking school info there since but the site remains blocked. Long story short from in Thailand the hyperlink "Where Anyone Can Learn To Cook" that appears at the bottom of my posts is a blocked link and to see CSI or Ma-Sa-Man website a temporary look alike site was created at http://www.ma-sa-man.zxq.net. Again please accept my appology.

#9 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 07:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station ... By Chicagojosh85 on 21 Nov 2012 9 3447 24 Nov 2012
From Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station going to Aranyaprathet ... By jedai2007 on 9 Jul 2014 11 552 22 Jul 2014
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 30879 10 Jul 2014
Transfer times from BKK Suvarnabhumi to Hualamphong Train Station ... By MoreAdventures on 3 Jan 2014 8 673 6 Jan 2014
bangkok airport to bus station connection time ... By charterboy22 on 3 Feb 2007 5 2371 7 Feb 2007
From Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to the train station. ... By atarigangster on 26 Apr 2013 5 1573 26 Apr 2013
Suvarnabhumi Airport to don muang train station ... By woodyuk on 16 Oct 2008 6 9011 20 Oct 2008
Hua Lamphong train station to Suvarnabhumi airport? ... By Emma23 on 23 May 2012 2 6283 24 May 2012
Guesthouse recommendation near the Bangkok Hualamphong station. ... By jsmckelvey on 16 May 2008 0 3974 16 May 2008
Airport - Hualamphong - Ayutthaya ... By Lawoat on 12 Sep 2010 1 1681 12 Sep 2010