Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Tao Bungalows?

• biophlame

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009

Does anyone have any accommodation recommendations for Ko Tao? I'll be traveling with 4 others on January 20th to Ko Tao, staying for about 4 days before heading to Ko Samiu and Ko Pha Ngan, and looking for something along the lines of a bungalow/hut for cheap. If anyone's been and has a great place to recommend, please let me know!

Also, would you recommend that I prebook (is that possible) or just wait until I get onto the island and get a room the day of. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 16:49

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I’ve always thought the bungalows built high on the steep slopes north of Sairee Beach on Tao’s west coast looked pretty good and would have killer views. So when I got off the “new” night vehicle-ferry from Chumpon (which looks a recycled WW2 US Navy landing barge with a funky dorm behind the bridge containing abt 30 mattresses) a few years ago I went up and got me one, at SILVER CLIFF BUNGALOWS. 300 baht for a wooden bungalow, attached bathroom with mirror, clean, solid, just enough room for two and their gear, comfortable double bed with good mosquito net. The big verandah had a hammock and a great 100 degree tree and rock framed view of the ocean, as did the small restaurant, but my favourite viewing spot was on top of a nearby huge granite boulder, the perfect sunset location with a bottle of Chang or Mae Khong. The restaurant meals were pretty good with an astounding variety and some of the cheapest prices all trip. Their sweet and sour was a bit ordinary after Viewpoint’s however. There is a track to the seaside rocks way down there and the snorkeling is quite interesting right off the rocks but even more so about 40m out where the fringing coral reef is located. The restaurant hires snorkeling gear.
    Silver Cliff only has about 10 bungalows (some are bigger with aircon) but there are two similar places adjacent to the north, SUN SEA and SUN LORD, which seemed to have a bigger range of bungalows., including down close to the water. A group of Brits were having great late afternoon fun down there with crazy diving contests off a big granite boulder and fanging around in a small rowboat.
    These places are about 10 minutes walk downhill to the closest part of Sairree beach and a good 40 minutes into central Mae Hat and the piers. No problems with a bicycle or motorcycle. 50 baht by motorbike taxi, 100 by car from town - probably more now.

Next trip I aim to stay at VIEWPOINT, a scenic seafront place on the rocks in the island's south west with fabulous views of Ban Kao’s beach, headland and the surrounding hills and mountains.

Twice on earlier trips I've stayed on Ko Nangyuan, the drop-dead gorgeous islet off Tao's north-west - but this has moved upmarket and is midrange now.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 18:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.